Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hello, Summer. How long will you be staying?

Give it to me straight, friends--how bad is it that yesterday I told Mike that I was considering packing up the kids and heading to my mom's...not for my annual extended two week stay...for the entire summer? Is that so wrong? Mike told me he wasn't all that sure my mom would want to keep me for two months. When Robyn called yesterday morning, the first words out of my mouth were, "I hate summer."
These are not the rantings of a happy woman. Or a cheery mother.

Being the introspective person that I am, I dug deep into my psychosis to unravel the mystery behind my disturbing summer hatred (because usually it's not this bad less than a week into it).
This is my conclusion: Summer blind sided me.
I just didn't prep myself. Normally I have a plan in place. This year, not so much. So...with a little acceptance,-- 'cuz it is what it is' --some planning and a few deep breaths I am ready to rumble. Bring it on, Summer, give me your best shot!

We are going to find adventure around every corner, smell the roses, party like it's 1999, chase rainbows, dance and frolic in lollipops and gumdrops falling from the sky...
Yes, this summer will be magical, the summer of 2009 will be one to be remembered, it will go down in history as the best summer ever.

And so...
Summer, my dear old friend, I say to you:
Come. Sit. Stay a while. Kick off your shoes and make yourself at home.
We will all enjoy your visit.
However, when the second week of August arrives...don't let the door hit you on the way out.
:)

9 comments:

stace said...

No wonder I like you so much...you are the only other person I hear use the phrase party like it is 1999. Glad to know that my random sayings aren't lost on everyone.

stace said...

oh and I hate summer too. It is way too hot.

Kristina P. said...

I think you need to make a quick stop in Salt Lake on June 13th! The HOFF!!

annebabe said...

let the magical adventures begin! and we party like its 1999 all the time, that's how we roll over here on red mesa drive. ;)

Amanda said...

I have to agree with Mike, I'm not so sure mom or you would last with you being here ALL summer!! ;)But look at it this way, only like three weeks till or first race of the summer, then we can fit in a few more while you are up here for your two weeks! YAY!

Megs said...

I totally, completely 100% agree with you! :D Since moving down here this is another one of those times that I am singing from the rooftops in praise of year round school! :D I only have to put up with all-kids, all-the-time for about 3-4 weeks at a time! :D and I am STILL SO happy when they go back! :D We are going up to my parents house for two weeks soon, with my sisters kids it will be 5 adults and 7 kids.....it will be (mostly)crazy and (sometimes)fun! :D
While Josh was gone in Iraq I was up visiting my folks for 3months the spring and in then 2more around Cmas...but I only had two kids at the time, that probably made a difference, huh?! :D
Good luck! We will have to come up and visit to add to your chaos! :D No thanks neccessary...it will be our pleasure! LOL!!! ;)

jen said...

Glad you are having a positive attitude towards summer :). I need to come hang out with you so you can rub off on me! I am still in the "I hate summer" mode.

Shotwell's said...

And I am hating summer for a whole different reason. I won't drag ya all down with my whining.... but I if I had one wish it would be to be able to enjoy the summer with my kids! So take that into consideration and party a whole bunch on my behalf as well!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

mmmmmm hmmmmm. (that's me not knowing quite what to say, but totally and completely agreeing with every word you said!)

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.