Thursday, May 14, 2009

Before we Begin...

There are a few things you should know:

#1) There are a LOT of pigeons in the bay area. We are not talking about 'Look up there-look at those pigeons in the sky' sort of a thing. We are talking about fearless little beasts. For any one who knows me well (or has ever eaten outside at Pasta Factory with me), you know I am really not a big fan of birds. Any small animal that flutters or scurries is no friend of mine. Being the fantastic sport that I am, I decided I had to make peace with the pigeons.

See?? Are they close enough, do ya think?

Don't I look calm? And super relaxed? Me and the birds...we were real tight on this trip. ;)

#2) There are also a LOT of--how should I put this?--employment, life skilled and socially challenged people. No kidding. Every where. For the most part they were just pretty much part of the scenery. There were a couple that stood out:
There was the psycho-sexual we spent ample time observing at Union Square.
Our short visit to Haight-Ashbury was just chock full of the best of the best.
There was the Schizophrenic people hater guarding the pier.

See this picture? My face is saying, "Isn't this picturesque?" But, through my gritted smiling teeth I am really saying, "Quick, Mike, take the dang picture!! The looney is heading this way!" The very unstable 'pier guard' was on his way towards us.

And then there was this guy:
He was completely entertaining. We saw him the first night, but just kept walking. His gig was he would stand there absolutely still-like a mannequin. The second night we saw him again and Mike decided to put some money in his cup (I know, it shocked me too.) He then did this little dance like thing. It was so funny--before long he had a crowd gathered around dropping money in his cup to watch him jig.

#3) If you can't pull off the wind blown look as good as I can...San Fransisco may not be the place for you. It was windy! The wind didn't blow all the time, mostly in the mornings and at night. No Joke--that wind off the ocean is C.O.L.D. This, of course, is coming from a girl who has a cold temperature tolerance of about nil. Seriously, what happened to this Cache Valley girl? Oh yeah...she was transplanted into the heat.


That's it for now, my friends. Tomorrow we talk about food.
I know, I'm excited too. Try to get some sleep. Don't keep your self up all night with the anticipation. Maybe a little snack would help....I have to two words for you:
Boudins & Ghirardelli.
Mmmm Hmmmm. That's what I'm talking about...

4 comments:

annebabe said...

the birds, the scary homeless people, the wintery winds, you've covered it all so very well. i'm hanging on baited breath for the next installment. a snack does sound great, what time is breakfast served at your house? ;)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Pigeons? NO big deal. But seagulls....uggghhhh. Ever since I ordered my plate of food at Seaworld, sat down to eat, and a seagull flew right up over me and pooped all over my lunch. I'm not a fan. And can you believe that the food servers told me it was all part of the risk of eating outdoors at seaworld? Seriously.

Shotwell's said...

Okay, I'm thinking I need a vacation! You've inspired me. I'm so grateful for your virtual vacation! Waiting anxiously for the food coverage!

Megs said...

When I think of pigeons now I think of those 'jersey style' ones from 'Bolt' you know? So hysterical! :D
LOVE the carefree-hair-blowing-in-the-wind pic...you SEXY Farmgirl you!!! :D
After seeing pics of the dancing guy...I am debating on taking my kids down there, they are very entertainig, I figure that it is about time they started to contribute... ;)

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.