Friday, May 15, 2009

Yes, but what did we dooo???

We did all things touristy.
Let's back up for a moment and begin at the beginning, shall we?....

First of all--how many people do you see in this vehicular?
That's right. Two! Yippee!! We are already off to a great start. :)

Our first big adventure was leaving the San Fransisco airport. We rode the shuttle. Our very Asian, very crazy driver drove us around and around the terminals until all nine seats were filled. Then we were off...and lucky to arrive at our hotel in one piece. We remedied that problem on the return trip and got a town car to take us. We decided the extra 15 bucks were like an investment in our children--it would ensure they would be raised by us and not the state. Money well spent.

We opted to buy a three day muni-pass so that we could use the public transportation. And use it we did. We went every where. We rode the bus, the street cars and the cable cars-they were my favorite. (and, yes, Angie I did hang off the back on one ride. no picture considering i was holding on for dear life. it was indeed a San Fransisco treat!)
Mike has a built in GPS system that is amazing. He got a cheesy map of the city from the hotel and we were all set. He knew exactly where we were going and how to get there. He's a freak'n rock star!

Chinatown was one of our first stops. Dim Sum and shopping. It was pretty cool.

After Chinatown we went to Union Square--did a little shopping, introduced ourselves to Boudins and made our first stop at the Cheesecake Factory (nothing like a little cheesecake for a midnight snack, right?) We decided to walk back to our hotel instead of ride the bus. Our walk up Sutter Street was a wee bit scary at night. I have been accused of walking fast-some say it's my long legs ;) well, that night I was sprint-walking to get off those streets.

Tuesday's first tourist stop was (as I mentioned before) a trip to the Mother Ship.
Do you see how big those letters are? A beacon on the hill, lit up at night it would call weary chocolate lovers home. Ghirardelli Sqare. It's a good thing.

Next up was Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39.
Not only was there tons of food and random shops to wander through we met the Sea Lions. These guys were so entertaining we came back the next day for a second showing.

Next on the agenda: Alcatraz.
(That's it in the back ground.)

This was really cool and extremely interesting. I want to re-watch Escape From Alcatraz now that I have seen it all for real.

The rest of the day we spent just chillaxin'. We went back to Ghirardelli Square, sat on the beach for a while, went for a walk on this cool old pier and watched some guys fishing for crab. (This would be where we met our new friend, the crazy pier keeper.) We rode the cable car back to Union Square purchased our selves a little more Boudin sourdough bread and smartly took the bus back to our hotel.

Wednesday was fun filled as well.
First stop: Golden Gate Bridge. Really Awesome. It's HUGE, the most amazing thing to me was that it was built in the 30's!
This is one of the cables. Big enough for ya?We walked across it. It was super loud. Can you believe how big this is?

A few bus rides later and we were at Golden Gate Park. I guess this is the Central Park of San Fransisco. We walked around the lake and through the all the forest-y parts, it was really beautiful. After a while we made it over to the rose garden. I loved the rose garden. A delight for the eyes and the nose!

It's a good thing I soaked up all the beauty and goodness there because Haight-Ashbury was next. Mike really wanted to hit this spot- visiting once in a life time will be plenty for me. I guess it's charm was lost on me. It's official: I'm no hippie.

The rest of the day we spent revisiting all of our favorite finds. Ghirardelli Square, the sea lions at Pier 39, The Cheesecake Factory, Trish's Doughnuts, Boudins, Union Square...yes--food was a running theme in all of our favorites. ;)

Our plane was delayed coming home. What would have been a late night turned into an early morning late night. We were exhausted from all of our fun, but had a blast!! I don't think we will be waiting 15 years to plan our next get away. :)

Well....
Friends, nieghbors, countrymen,
Thanks for joining us.
That concludes our virtual tour of San Fransisco brought to you by Farmgirl.

p.s.
A big huge shout out to all my help in making this little dream come true. It takes a village to take a vacation! Thanks to all the best of the best-ies!!

8 comments:

Megs said...

WOW!! What a great trip! :D
I LOVE your pics, so beautiful! Those are the kinds of pictures you see in frames, what fun memories captured on camera...I am jealous, and so happy you and Mike had such a fabulouso time! :)
You have seriously inspired me! I am going to plan a trip for just Josh and I sometime in the next year...considering we never even get to go on dates it will be a HUGE undertaking, but worth it if your example proves anything.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us!!! :D

staci said...

I have loved going on this virtual vacay with you guys. So glad you got to go and enjoy some much needed & deserved one on one time. You guys are such a cute couple!

jen said...

You got some great photos and I loved your commentary. I am kind of sad the virtual vacation has come to an end! You got to do so many fun things. I am glad you aren't waiting 15 years for your next vacation :).

Natalie Nelson said...

I know I haven't commented on your other entry's because this is the first time I have had a chance to read them so I will try to fit it all in on this. Your trip looked and sounded awsome It makes me want to hurry and plan something big for David and me for our ann. on May 26th. That probably won't happen but I came atleast make an effort to do something special.I am amazed you at at so many different places ans so often I congradulate you on your pacing your self. Wow!! the I imagined the cables on that bridge to be huge but I really had no idea.I'm glad to hear you made it home in one peace and it sounds like a little reguvinated too. If we ever happen to go I am talking to you for all the directions and hot spots.

Amanda said...

I am really really glad you guys were able to go and glad that in my own little way i could help make it happen! ;) I am ALL for vacations, after all, I am married to Vacation Varley (as he was known at work!) It looks like you had lots-o-fun! Oh, and by the way, as far as the Wasatch my Back goes--- Am I allowed to be in charge of your hair as well as your outfits? This could be really fun, I saw the way you envied my stylish do's during our runs...

Unknown said...

Your trip looks like so much fun!

PS I totally blog stalk you.

See you on race day! (if only it was because we were on the same team!)

Sarah said...

So you're being stalked. That's something to know. :) I'm glad you rescued your pictures from hard drive perdition. You are a photoshop maven. And I wish I was on your trip too.

Anneke said...

Oh yay for you guys!! I'm jealous. And here I thought my big overnight trip to St. George was awesome. (And it was!) But one day I hope to be as cool as you and go on an actualy airplane ride and spend two whole nights with just me and hubby.
So glad you had such a fun time! Thanks for sharing all the events!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.