Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mothers Union

Here's the thing- I have a cold. A stupid cold. And while I'm no where near death's doorstep I have felt fairly crummy for few days now. This morning as I was doing all my morning stuff I was thinking to myself:

Self, why didn't you check the box that said 'Yes, I would like to be able to take a sick day.'? And then I remembered that I am a Mom and there are no sick days when you are Mom. And then I thought about the fact that, well, that's really a bummer. Then I had an idea...

Mothers Union. We form a Mothers Union. We pay our dues in cookies and brownies. Then, when we are just not feeling quite up to par we send out the bat signal (or call or text) and in comes the relief pitcher (or 2 or 3). Some one takes a kid here or there, does a load or two of laundry, dinner is at the door. This service could be used at your discretion, we each have a couple of sick days a year, and by the word 'sick' I mean 'sick' like feeling under the weather or 'sick' like I'm loosing my freaking mind here!

Women are so good to each other when the distress call is made. Someone had a baby? Surgery? Moving? We are there. Dinner, child care, packing, cleaning-- we got it covered.

Mothers Union would require us all to admit to being a little more human than we really want to. We would have to freely admit that we just want a little extra help. We're not so good at that, at least I'm not. And that, my friends, may be the demise of MU.

It was a nice idea all the same.
:o)



P.S. Sidenote Afterthought:
After rereading and mulling over this post for a moment or two I thought I should just say that I am in no way trying to solicit child care, laundry service, or dinner delivery (okay, maybe dinner...who doesn't love dinner duty relief?). Let's just say that sitting down to the computer while under the influence of the cold relief drug cocktail I concocted as diminished my filtering skills.

9 comments:

Audrey Eliza said...

I am in! But I am not a mother yet, is that a problem?

Anonymous said...

I think Audrey's comment might mean that she is cooking dinner tonight! I am loving the Mother's Union idea, count me in!

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

I want in to....except wait you do that for me all the time. I am so sorry we are both under the weather at the same time. I would love to have a little Grant time at my house...as soon as I get myself and my kiddos better it's totally happening.

jen said...

Count me in. Where do I sign up? I hope you feel better soon!

Amanda said...

I'm with Audrey, is it a problem to join the Union without being a mom or is that required?!? Well, if it's not, count me in. Wish I were there to help out! Just ship your kiddos up here and I'll take care of them. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Natalie Nelson said...

I can tell you from experience from the past 4 weeks that such a thing already exists. It has a different name though. the Relief Society. I'm not trying to promote the religion thing BUT... ever since we had Tily we have received everything you names off. I think the #1 reason we have been so well taken care of is because your mom is the compationate service person in our ward and the fact that she is David's mom. She has been amazing. So my only question for you is. What are the phone numbers of your visiting teachers and R.S. president? I can gurantee the "Mothers Union" would be in full force with just a few phone calls. I'm sorry to hear about your cold.

Mom Nelson said...

A Mother's Union----what a good idea----I should have thought of it 30 years ago! Hope you are soon feeling better.

Heather said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog, probably browsing from some other blog... the farmgirl title caught my eye. I'm a dairy farmer in Ontario Canada. I'm really enjoying your blog. Lots of fun things to read. I'd love to join your union too please ***smirk***

Hot Mom said...

Sign me up!! I am way behind on my Union dues. Even though you have had to be on mom duty I shouldn't have forced you into therapy duty to. I am so bad.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.