Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Say what???

Alright friends, I may have had a temporary lapse of sanity.
Remember way back, way way back in June when I ran that crazy race the Wasatch Back?
It was so much fun!
LoVeD iT!!
At that point in time I had every intention of running the Vegas Ragnar in October.
(The Vegas Ragnar that is a mere 10 short days away, p.s.)
I discovered I had a conflict and I had to back out.
My spot was filled- I took a very long running hiatus and went on with my life minus a training schedule.
Side note: My conflict was rescheduled last week and next weekend is now open. No matter, my spot was filled months ago and I haven't trained any way, right? Wrong.
Fast forward to yesterday when Amanda called me to say that 2 spots had opened up in her van and she wanted Jonathan and I to run with her.
That's Jonathan, my brother.
Jonathan, my brother who just ran the Top of Utah marathon with a finishing time of 3:30.
And me.
Me, who has done NO RUNNING WHAT SO EVER IN MONTHS!!!!!
So what was my answer?
After a few moments of humming and hahhing
"I'm in."
I'm doing this.
It would appear that I have lost my freaking mind!

Okay, so here's the low down.
I am runner number five on a team of twelve.
I have three legs to run.
First leg: 3.5 miles
Second leg: 3.6 miles
Third leg: 3.9 miles
None of these are a crazy far distance. But, I will be running them all within about a 30someodd (or less?) hour time frame, ugh. There are some hills involved too. My last leg is a gradual uphill the whole way.
I'm not gonna lie.....I'm sceered.

The good news is that I ran this morning and it was purty durn good.
Remember, I'm normally a ten-minute mile kind of a gal...when I have been running-which I haven't.
This morning I did three miles in....are you ready?....are you really ready?
Drum roll please...
28:59!
High fives all around!

And now lets have a moment of silence to pray for my poor decrepit body.
Let us pray that my legs will not collapse.
Let us pray that my lungs will not wheeze their last breath.
Let us pray that my heart will not explode out of my chest.
Let us pray that my 7 day training program (that I have yet to figure out) will suffice.
And finally, let us pray that if I do indeed die on this race that my head stone will read,
"See, I told you I was out of shape!"

But, if I don't die...I will get an awesome Saints & Sinners medal for running both the Wasatch and the Vegas Ragnar in the same year.
And that will be pretty cool.
:o)


That and I will live to see my 35th birthday.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll pray for you...

You can totally do it! I haven't ran since the Ragnar either...maybe you've inspired me to get back out there because truthfully I do miss it.

please note I said maybe.

Bryant P. Castleton said...

Atta girl - you can totally do it!! You are inspiring me to get back into to it once my life settles down into some kind of normalcy : >

Good luck!!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

You are craaaaaa-zeeeee! And I have nothing else to say. Maybe I'm just jealous.
Good luck sinner!

bobbi said...

Goooooooooooood luck!! You will do great! I'm trying to talk myself into running something soon-- maybe I just need to DO IT, like yourself!!:) You have inspired us all!!

Mer said...

My please blesses are on their way up now - good luck and have fun! I'd like to say you and Amanda inspire me to run, and not that you two are inspiring in many ways, but I like to blame my lack of motivation on the never ending heat here - will that work for you?

annebabe said...

you can do it!! I believe in you! You are awesome! Running is great! You are crazy! Ooops, that last one got away from me, sorry, it was all supposed to be positive. :)

stace said...

you are crazy!! Good luck though!

staci said...

You go girl!! I think it's awesome! What an accomplishment! Maybe someday I'll join the running crowd...

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

You can do it. You can do everything! I will be cheering you on from the other side of the country:)

Amanda said...

You. Are. Welcome.

Yes ma'am. You know you have been wanting this since our fan-freakin-tastic time we had in the 28 hours of the Wasatch Back! Don't act like you havent been wishing an injury on one of the runners just so I could call you up with a weeks notice to fill in. It will be a blast, AND you get to hand off to me!!

holla.

jen said...

That is crazy!! You will do an amazing job though. Might be a little EXHAUSTED but you will make it. Can't wait to see your Saints and Sinners medal :).

andrea said...

Yep. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

I am proud of you though! I think it's an amazing accomplishment being that I can't run around the block. Seriously. Want to train me in say February?

Natalie Nelson said...

Good luck. I know you will do great. I am so amazed at all you Nelson's and how quick you all can get into shape. Maybe after this baby I will attemt my feet =) at a 5 k race in the spring.

whirligigdaisy said...

You'll do great. And I'm so glad to find your blog again (Not that I'm always losing things, but I did manage to lose this - your blog address).

Anneke said...

I'm wheezing just thinking about it! Wow. YOU GO GIRL! (said with a flip of the head and wrist!)

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.