Monday, June 22, 2009

Wanna know what crazy people do for fun?

They run the Wasatch Back.

Here is our whole team at the finish line. It was really wet!

Here's me and my crazy Van #2 load---(left to right) Jason, Joyce, my sister Amanda, Me, my brother Jonathan, and my cousin Catherine. I *heart* my van buddies.

So, Amanda (who is currently a stay at home....person) has a lot of time on her hands. She decided to make the two of us shirts. Our team name is We Need More Cowbell, from a hilarious SNL skit-if you haven't seen it, Utube it. My shirt says, "I need more cowbell. Act like a cow. Be dumb. Just run." and hers says, "I've got a fever and the only perscription is more cowbell."

Our final leg shirts were fantastic. Unfortunatly, it was so wet we only wore them to run in...no one really got to see them. Oh well, they were still awesome. I think my favorite thing about our shirts is that she made them out of wife beaters.

So...this is what happens at about 1 a.m. when you are in a van and need to stretch--you improvise. Our van started running around ten (that's me...I was the first runner in our van.) and didn't finish until about four in the morning. Who does that??? Who thinks, Hey I know what will be fun...let's get 12 people together-two van loads, and run 188 miles, from Logan to Park City- we'll start in the morning and run all through the night and into the next day! Crazy People. That's who.

Here's a pic of me in all my running glory. This is at the end of my last and longest leg. Ahhh...it felt so good. Ya, it's a little blury, I know-that's cuz I run like the wind blows. ;o)






Really though, one of the best things was doing this with these two. Many thanks to that wacky gal-my little sis, Amanda, for putting this together. And to Jonathan for jumping on the family band wagon.

I could blab on all night about all the gritty details of this amazing experience, but I would never do it justice. If you are a runner-or a wanna be runner-and ever have the opportunity to be a part of this event....DO IT! It was an experience I will never forget. And just in case my memory starts to fade a little over time, I am already planning on doing it again next year. :o)

10 comments:

Marla Herrick said...

Wow! What an awesome blog! It looks like you all have tons of fun. Kudos on the running thing :) And nice shirts.

Kristina P. said...

Yours is like the 5th blog I've read about running this race! You are all insane! And awesome.

annebabe said...

i'm gonna start calling you FloJo. or maybe cowbell. i haven't decided yet. but something smart, clever and that sounds fast. perhaps lightening mcqueen? i'll test a few out this week, see how they roll of the tongue.

BTW, you are awesome. so glad you had fun and ran fast. ;)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Nothing quite like a wet, white, wife beater, eh? (try saying that ten times as fast as you can!)
Looks like a lot of fun. I heard that they have one of these same races that starts up at Mt. St. Helens and goes all the way to the coast. You're almost tempting me to do it next year. Almost.

Megs said...

OK, can I say...
"I'm not WORTHY, I'm not WORTHY"
You totally rock chick!!!

My favorite moment of this YEAR is reading this:
"Ya, it's a little blurry, I know- that's cuz I run like the wind blows."
I laughed OUT loud, I mean really loud, and I couldn't stop, I had to put my head between my knees to keep conscious. Like the I-had-to wipe-the-tears-from-my-eyes-in-order-to-keep-reading kind of laughing! Man, I frickin' LOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to have a sleepover at your house, never mind the kids! You are a blast girl! :D
I have always known you are crazy...and I LIKE IT! Just my kind of person! :D
Your sis Amanda is so cute! :D My best buddy at BYU was an Amanda, I love her so much I named our oldest Amanda...so that name has GREAT karma for me, your sis seems like she SOOOO lives up to that! :D I have never been a runner, but just seeing your pics totally makes me want to start! And I have NEVER really wanted to, perhaps you ARE my muse!!! ;)
Congrats on a super awesome achievement! So totally cool!!!! Tell Mike CONGRATS for picking a WINNER, bigtime! :D

Amanda said...

Oh Mary Ann--
What can I say, thanks for posting that photo of you stretching, that really made my day! Bwahahah!! This race really was AMAZING and I totally agree with you that one of the best parts was having you and Jonathan there! I can hardly wait till next year and hopefully we wont have to if operation: get Kiewit to pay for us to run in Oct goes through... Oh and I am glad that I can use all of my spare time for good. You know being a stay at home....person and all! ;)Wife beaters are great and I know you loved the shirts! Maybe if you are really good I will make us some more for the fourth of July run. Just maybe.

Bryant P. Castleton said...

What can I say - I am impressed! How many miles did you each have to run? I am not sure anyone would want me on their team - I'm not the speediest - I just like to run.

I love the cowbell theme, though! I can tell you right now no one will be running any long races in either Illinois or Alabama (where I split my time) because it is HOTTER than HADES!!!

Anyway, I'm proud of you!!

bpc

farmgirl said...

Bryant-
My total distance was about 12 1/2 miles. Every body's distance varied and also how hard the run was--there were some really NASTY hill climbs. It was fun, you should do it if the opportunity ever presents itself--this race is not about being fast (unless of course you are the BYU cross country team) it's about being crazy. :o)
One of my teammates is trying to get a team together in Florida, if you are interested....or there's always next year of the Wasatch Back.

Sarah said...

Look at those legs on you-- they're like 2 miles long. And the crotch shot is fantastic. Blow it up. Frame it. I could photoshop it for you to make it REALLY POP.

When you coming home girlie? Santa Clara is so lacking a little cow bell right about now.

jen said...

You are amazing! Love all the pics from the big event. I can't believe you ran in the middle of the night. That is just craziness :). Glad you had fun!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.