Sunday, September 13, 2009

M.O.C.C

Mothers Of Challenging Children
That's my new support group.

When you are the mother of a challenging child, you already know it.
No one needs to tell you.
Here's the thing (and I think it's pretty true for any mother) whatever you have to tell them about their kid-good or bad- your not gonna shock 'em.
Mom's know their kids better than any one else.
All the good, fantastic qualities and the not so fantastic qualities.
So there is really no need to go out of your way to point out the negative.
Leave that up to the professionals.
I am already very aware, thanks all the same.

I'm doing my very best with what I was given.
I'll try and make my lemonade and you make yours.
And how about instead of pouring salt in the mix- some one could just lend me the sugar?

Is this too brutally honest?
Mom's have feelings too, ya know.

Let's all adopt Thumper's mothers mantra, shall we:
If you don't have anything nice to say,
don't say anything at all.

Good advice for children.

And adults too.



*Okay, I feel slightly better- just needed to vent a little. It's just that, doggone-it, I love my little twerp! I know they aren't perfect. Believe me, I KNOW. I love all the crazy stories people tell me about my kids, because they are crazy--crazy funny. And it's just those kinds of stories that make me think we are gonna get through all this. Encouragement. That's what I need. So, if you have something positive to say, by all means, bring it on. No need to relay to me a laundry list of negative things my child said. That is in no way helpful to me. In fact, it causes me to be up at 2:30 in the AM. And that is just sick and wrong.

And p.s. for the record---challenging children are chock full of spunk, life and personality.
This particular child is Ah-MaZ-iNg!!
I love them all! And I wouldn't trade in a one of them. :o)

This is Farmgirl signing off,
And I am
Lucky ~and happy~ to be the Mom.


11 comments:

Natalie Nelson said...

Mary Ann, I think you and Mike have done a great job with your kids. I have almost unrealistic dreams of having 6 kids but I fear I won't get there. I don't know if my sanity would last, and for you to take care of 5 crazy and wild (in a good way) well it just amazes me.
I think you guys are awsome and I love it when we get to see you whether here or there.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Very well said! I figure that God must have a really great sense of humor (after all, he created me....and then allowed me to be a mother!). So if we can't laugh at what we're given, then what's the point? I'm pretty sure that He's laughing right along with us. And that's a good thing.

Amanda said...

Well, me thinks a call is needed to get the inside scoop here, but for now I will just say that you know I adore your little ones and you yourself too. You are fantastic at motherhood, the only thing that would make you any better is if you didn't make little Grantie boy wear his pants to the dinner table, but hey we can't all be perfect!! Love Love!!

andrea said...

AMEN, sister.

jen said...

I totally agree. I have my own challenging child and I am VERY aware of it. At the same time that child brings me lots of joy and laughter. I know there are times I need to be told that my child is acting up but I also love hearing the good things they have done. Anyways, I think your kids are great. In fact, we enjoyed some very delicious cookies from your daughter's baking business this weekend. Yum!

annebabe said...

so I am a charter member in the club, right?? because I''m hearing ya loud and clear sister. Loud and clear! Can I bring some sugar to you and we can have lemonade together?

stace said...

well, I don't know anything your children could do that wouldn't be fantastic. I mean, I did spend a week in the wild outdoors with them and still like them, so they must be pretty great.

I get you though. Sorry you have to deal with this.

bobbi said...

Looooove Thumper's mama!!!! Hang in there--

Hot Mom said...

I'm in.

Megs said...

OK...by this post I am guessing that there are UNchallenging children out there...WHAT? Are you sure?? How come all four of mine drive me to the brink of insanity on a daily basis? hummmm...well, it is one of those things where I can complain about my kids anytime I want to, cuz I am the Mama. period. plus I love them more than life itself and any complaints I have are done mostly in fun... but if anyone ELSE tries to bag on my kids....WHOA NELLY!!!...they are in for some serious hurt. I mean we are talking Kung-Fu-Krazy, WWE-hit-with-a-chair, flying-kick-to-the-groin, psycho-movie-of-the-week kind of hurt!
My husband has a wonderful phrase that we use in jest all the time, but in this case it is totally applicable to your situation:

"WHAT...do they know?"

nothing.
nada.
zilch.
bupkiss.
zero.
rien.

If they can't be helpful they can go stick a sock in it...
I love ya girl. Don't worry about the haters out there, they are sad, sad people. Your kids rock and you should know because YOU ARE THE MOM!!!!
Here is to all those crazy, challenging, looney, weird, fun, smart, insane, beautiful, loopy, brave, amazing kids of ours!!!

(um...If you want to take care of this person with the mouth I 'know a guy'...)

Unknown said...

Well said (this is my alter-ego Sarah the Math Teacher posting)

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.