Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Twenty Minute Parent.

Introducing the new twenty minute parenting tactic. Mike and I have finally figured out how to parent perfectly. Twenty minutes at a time. This works especially well on Sundays when neither one of us wants to pull out all the stops and do it like the parent rock stars that we really are.

How did this system come about, you ask? While waiting for the potatoes to cook for dinner after church I was completely disgusted by the state of my house. Nine o'clock church is a tough one on a good day, it's a killer on a day we are slow to get moving. Normally I don't leave my house a mess.

(I know I'm nuts, but the thought of coming home to find that someone has broken in and then needing to leave the crime scene as is while we wait for the cops then needing to explain to them that it was already a disaster is just horrifying to me. I know, I have some really weird issues. But, don't you all appreciate my honesty?)

So...in my efforts to assure a nap for myself (which I also don't do well with the house a mess) I asked Mike for some help in rounding up the troops for a clean up before dinner. He was none too excited. Just give me twenty minutes, I said. Twenty minutes of good, solid, helpful parenting.
Then, tonight for bed time stuff/scripture reading routine--that Sunday laziness struck again, we didn't want to spend the next hour trying to get it done. Once again we decided that in twenty minutes time --if we put our hearts in it--we could read, pray and have every one on their way to bed.

That's when we realized we really might be on to something.
We feel that giving it our all for just twenty minutes at a time may be the answer to all our parenting quandaries.
The twenty minute parenting tactic.
It's genius!
Twenty minutes to perfect parenting.
Just twenty minutes, that's all we ask.


*Yes, we are available for parenting counseling classes if anyone is interested. I'm sure they will be filling up fast so be sure to reserve your spot early.


Your welcome.
:o)

10 comments:

Megs said...

I didn't believe that it was possible for you to rock more than I already thought you rocked...
once again you have proven me wrong!
I LOOOOOOOOOVE 20min parenting! It is just so WEIRD because just this weekend I did almost EXACTLY the same thing! I even set a timer for 15 min...(OK so, it wasn't exactly 20 min- but I waited to start the timer for at least 5 minutes ...evil you say? heh heh heh, durn straight sista!)
It is AMAZING what can get done if everyone pitches in for that seemingly small amount of time! Saves me HOURS of work, I swear!
I am a believer!!! Since I have used something similar to your 'Parenting technique', perhaps instead of reserving me a seat in your parenting seminar you might enjoy having me guest teach a small portion of it? hummmmm...I think my lecture will be titled:
"How Brainwashing CAN Work for YOU!!!"
(psst...I can't relax when the house is a mess, perhaps that is why I am tired ALL THE TIME! ;)
tootles.

SchoMan said...

Apparently my "kick 'em in the butt and yell" parenting isn't working out very well for farmgirl.

Fonzareli said...

Since I only have 1/5 of the children would I still pass the class if I did the 4-minute parenting??

Mindy said...

Sign me up!! After today I think I could only handle 20 minutes more of parenting!

Thanks for keeping it real. I love how I always have a smile on my face after reading what Farmgirl has on her mind.

Natalie Nelson said...

I'm first on your list when you make the Preston, ID tour.

annebabe said...

So I only have to parent 20 minutes out of the whole 24 hours? Sweet! That just made my life sooooo much easier, you are a God Send Farmgirl! Keep 'em coming, your tips rock!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I'm a huge believer in a 20 minute workout, and so why wouldn't it work for parenting too? I can do anything for just 20 minutes!

You, my friend, are a genius.

jen said...

I think I can handle the 20 minute parenting! You are full of all kinds of great ideas :)!

Natalie Nelson said...

Hey, tried your 20 min. parenting thing today. I thought "only clean for 20 min. and let's see what results it will get me". I really think you are onto something big.

Anneke said...

Brilliant. and brilliant! You continue to be an inspiration.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.