Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cool with being Uncool.

So, I've been noticing something...I don't think regular old blogs are cool any more.  If you have less than a massive following, it's just not that cool.  So for me, I'm 16 followers down and a thousand left to go???  Am I right?
Regular Old Blogs = Not Cool.

Hhmmm....Well, here's my thoughts on that:

First of all, I've never been a really cool person anyway.  I mean, I'm cool in my own kinda quirky way, but quirky does not equal cool.  Don't get me wrong I would choose quirky over cool any day of the week and twice on Monday (the day you know your getting a treat thanks to FHE).  Remember?  I'm the girl who thinks cleaning is cool.  So I'm no judge of what's cool and what's not.
And, BTW just the fact that I am now noticing that maybe regular old blogs are not so cool means they have probably not been cool for quite some time, cuz I'm just that uncool.
Guess what?  I don't want 1,016 followers.  That sounds like too much work and not nearly enough anonymity so that's not what I'm saying...or thinking.  I guess I'm wondering why do I blog?  It's not to be cool.  We've already established that.  And it's not to make a family blog book, which I think is really cool and a great reason to blog.  I think I blog just to blabber randomly.  Is blabbering cool?  I think it's quirky, so I suppose that fits.
The truth is my blabbering has had to change a bit.  My life has not been what I anticipated, my kids are getting older and I just don't feel right about publicizing all the craziness that goes on around here (although I have thought of an "Alias Mom Blog").  So if I don't divulge all of the stories of raising 5 kids ranging from 16 to 5, and believe me there are plenty, and I don't just want to complain, and I'm not using this blog as a way to track our lives all that's left is the random blabberings rattling around in my head.

Things like this:
If your house has a really funky smell and by funky I mean sorta wood stove related but down right stinky, boil water with a bit of vinegar in it and it will neutralize smells in your house. IT WORKS.  Cooking bacon and don't want to know you cooked bacon three days from now by the smell in your house??  Boil water and vinegar.  It's awesome.  Almost as good as cleaning the bathroom with rubbing alcohol.  Yes, it's that awesome.
And:
If you take your kids sledding and underestimate the damage the sun can cause to your fair skinned child's face, and said child wakes up with a swollen face and eyes that she can barely open cake it with mustard and let it sit for 15 minutes.  Do that right after you enter the mother of the year award. (Let the record show that I DID put sunscreen on the little hoodlums....clearly not enough)

See, random blabbering.  So I think I'm cool with not being cool.
Quirky is cool enough for me.


p.s.
next Sunday I am teaching
a lesson on finding joy now.
my goal is to find as much joy as
I can this week.
...thinking about blogging that randomness.
wish me luck.
p.s.s.
for the record,
I include finding humor
as joy.
otherwise I might die.

5 comments:

annebabe said...

blabber on! while I would love it if you did post all the stories involving the cast of characters ranging from 5-16, I do understand why it is that you don't blog about them so much. But every once in a great while, throw us a bone and post just one. Maybe spotlight one kid a month. I don't know, just sayin'. Those 16 of us who do follow this blissfully quirky blog LOVE whatever you post. Just keep it coming. And amen on finding humor as joy. You either laugh or you cry. And I look a lot cuter laughing.

Hannah Singleton said...

I, too, enjoy the blabbering - so keep it coming :) However, one of my favorite features of you blog is the Farmgirl Food. I look at the recipes and just drool. One of these days I'm even going to try making one of them!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Ok can I just post s link of this to my blog because once again I have the same issues about writing about my kids, let's gave it kid are a goldmine of blog fodder, but it seems like the passion of being a teenager is great enough with out me adding to the pain. I did not however know about boiling water and vinegar, so a big thank you for that.

Megs said...

I have been OUT of the blog-o-sphere for like a YEAR! :S I am that far behind on mine...and I *was* blogging to eventually make a blog book and save myself LOTSA time on the scrapbookin' front! ;D *sigh* Well, sorry I have been MIA, and I miss you lovely, funny, silly, QUIRKY, and SUPER EXTRA TOTALLY COOL Blog! ;D I'm BaaaaAAAAaaaaacK! ;D

kennan said...

best. post. ever.

coolness isnt cool.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.