Monday, November 1, 2010

The Delmonte Factor.

Here's just a little something I've been thinking about.....

Way back when--way, way back in the day--back in the
high school summer days I had a job.
My first "real job", in fact.

*THERE ARE A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT
I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION RIGHT HERE*

#1: While this was my first 'pay check job' I want NO ONE under and illusions that it was my first working experience...farmgirl's the name,remember?
Work & Me, well, we've never been strangers.
#2: As a youngster I could of been the poster child for picky eaters. No, really. 97% of what I survived on was treats and breads. Oddly enough one of the few vegetables I ate (and really enjoyed) was canned green beans.

So, about this first real job- it was at the Delmonte plant working in the green beans.
I worked there for three summers.
Three summers, ten hour shifts.
That adds up to a whole lot-o-time spent at Delmonte.
I actually liked it there.
Much fun was enjoyed.
But the smell....
The smell still remains, lingers deep within the olfactory memory tissues.
All these years later, open up that can and
I am right back at the belts sorting through the beans, at the cookers sorting through the beans, at the forklift driving the pallets of beans, in the lab doing quality control on the beans---just like it was yesterday.
You know what happened?
I can't stand canned green beans!
Clearly having far too much exposure to something I really enjoyed the taste of ruined it for me.
Even though my memories of working there are positive I still CANNOT stomach canned green beans.

So,
My question/quandary is this....
Why does this not work for sweets?
My exposure is vastly more than that of the green beans.
How come I can eat and eat and eat those dag-um treats
and still go back for more?
Certainly I have had more sweets than any normal person.
And yet, I rarely seem to tire of them.

Kinda makes ya go
HHmmmmm?

10 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Good memories! And maybe you should get a job in a bakery. Maybe then you would tire of the yummy baked goodness!

Amanda said...

you can't ever tire of treats, cause if you do, I am afraid you would stop making treats and then what would the rest of us do without your treats? There.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

my husband spent one summer in Hawaii picking pineapple, and to this day he can not stand anything pineapple related. Can't help you with the sweet thing. Quite the quandary.

annebabe said...

you are asking questions that ought not to be asked. do you REALLY want to be sick of treats? mmm? no, no you don't. then we couldn't be friends any more. lets ask ourselves why doesn't this work for laundry? I've done enough, why do I keep going back for more each week???

whirligigdaisy said...

I keep thinking if I could just quit loving chocolate then I would be quite the skinny lady. Ha. Del Monte and memories. I don't even know if I can still eat canned green beans. It's been ages since I even tried.

whirligigdaisy said...

I keep thinking if I could just quit loving chocolate then I would be quite the skinny lady. Ha. Del Monte and memories. I don't even know if I can still eat canned green beans. It's been ages since I even tried.

Mom Nelson said...

Because green beans and working at DelMonte STINK (literally) and treats and chocolate don't...enough said!

Fonzareli said...

It wasn't the smell for me but the dead mouse that greeted me at the top of the conveyor belt. Needless to say while you lasted 3 YEARS, I didn't make it 3 hours. *BLECH!

Cool Dad said...

As someone who grew up in the shadow of a sugar beet factory. If sugar smelled like that, we would all be skinny.

Cool Dad said...

This is actually Hot Mom, who is too lazy to log out of Cool Dad's account.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.