Friday, April 30, 2010

Clever is as Clever does.

Cleverness.
It's an ancient Chinese/farmgirl secret.
A secret I learned very well from my mother--who, learned it from her mother--one that I hope to pass along as well....Cleverness is the key.

For instance.....
Let's just say that you are the kinda gal that really enjoys baking.
And let's just say that you are the kinda gal that likes baking so much that she bakes almost every day.
And let's just say that you are the kinda gal that 80-90% of your baking is treats (hypothetically speaking, of course).
And let's just say that you bake so much that---ohhh, I don't know??...your oven dies.
And let's just say that it is at this point that you realize that you are not only addicted (addicted? addicted is such a strong word....how about compelled) compelled to baking treats, your family is also compelled to eating treats, so much so that your self proclaimed non-treat-loving husband says, "I miss your treats."

What are you going to do???

You may go into some form of denial.
You may say to yourself, I don't bake that much....what's the big deal, it'll be fine.
You might think---ehhh, treats? Who needs 'em?
You might even agree to not eating any treats for a whole week. (You may want to think long and hard before you hastily jump on board that band wagon.)

But,
in the end--if you are smart, if you have your farmgirl game on, you'll start thinking outside the box.
And that's when clever mode starts to kick in....

You'll make blondies in the microwave.
You'll make no bake cookies.
You'll make rice crispy treats
You'll make brownies in the microwave.
You'll make carmelle popcorn.
You'll make scotcharoos.
And then if you dig deep, real, real deep and become one with your true farmgirl self....
you will remember a recipe from your childhood.
And you will make that recipe.
And your children will think you are the most clever woman that ever did walk the face of the Earth.
And they will praise your name.
And they will call you Wonderful, Mother.
And they will tell all of their friends about the beautiful genius that is their mother.
And their friends will come, and they will see that it is true.
They too, will attest that you are, indeed CLEVER.

This recipe could change your life,
use it wisely.
Behold, I give you....


Chocolate Waffle Cookies
Melt 3 squares unsweetened chocolate & 1 cup butter.
Beat 4 eggs and 1 1/2 cup sugar & mix.
Add to chocolate mixture and mix well.
Add 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla.
Mix well, drop 1 Tablespoon full on each section of waffle iron heated to medium and bake 1 minute. Remove, cool and frost.
Frosting.
Melt together and stir 1 square unsweetened chocolate, 5 Tbl butter, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Add 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar.
Mix well.

*one more clever tip*
I never use unsweetened chocolate.
Neither does my clever mother.

She taught me that:
1 Tbl butter + 2 heaping Tbl cocoa = 1 square chocolate

11 comments:

Ginger said...

Perhaps, if I were half as clever as you, I wouldn't have had cookie withdrawl for the last year. However, I will tell you, from experience, that a 18 quart roaster oven bakes a mighty fine casserole in a pinch. See as how I have been in said "pinch" for about say, 14 months, I can promise you that it will bake many, many fine things, (including the occasional muffin or cake.)

andrea said...

genius. Really.

Hot Mom said...

I feel a little like the heavens opened. I might need to try these. I have to take treats to a BBQ tomorrow night. Did I pack my waffle iron??

Fonzareli said...

I "bake" waffle CAKE for the boys on valentines day! Yes...for breakfast. That's just how AWESOME I AM!

KT said...

farmgirl, you make me happy!

(Andrea's favorite/best/prettiest friend)

kennan said...

i want you on m 5 questions blog.... thanks.

Amanda said...

I am so lucky to have such a clever sister and mother. My only hope is to one day tap into this cleverness that is instilled in us and passed on from generation to generation. You are super funny and might I add, clever. This Wee Webb I carry is totally craving some waffle cookies right about now!

staci said...

Yum!! I'm seriously going to try those!! I'll have you know your Elsie is sure proud of her mom! She told me today that you made brownies in the microwave! She thought it was so cool!!! :) You just might be starting a trend Farmgirl! All the cool mom's use anything BUT an oven to make treats!!!! :) Maybe you could start a blog about it??!!!

jen said...

Those look pretty darn good. I will definitely have to try them! You are just full of great ideas. I am so glad we are friends :).

kelli said...

I haven't had waffle cookies in at least 20 years. I hope that you and your retro-self enjoyed a waffle cookie for breakfast too.

stace said...

so, I really think I have had these before. Unfortunately, however, being on a diet is even worse than having no oven. It doesn't matter how creative you get, low fat sweet are never as good. So, enjoy an extra waffle cookie for me please?

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.