Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Small Vent.

When I called Mike last night (we were tag team parenting and only had about a 5 minute over lap) and asked him what he wanted me to get done before I headed off to the temple with my sweet neighbor, he said that what ever I could was good, my translation--basically,
"No worries, I got this."

What he should have answered was,
"What ever you want done, you should do."
Meaning--
if you want homework, reading, math facts, bathing, picking up rooms, putting away shoes, taking care of clothes, even changing into pajamas, anything of the like accomplished before bed,
--your gonna want to do that before you walk out the door.

Now, we all know I love my dear sweet husband a whole, whole bunch. And that he is absolutely amazing. He is a talented, loving, hard working, wonderful man.

Having said all that...I would like to note:
He is NO mother.

I still appreciate him holding down the fort whilst I was gone. And knowing that he will actually take the 'He is NO mother' remark as some what of a compliment makes me feel a little better rattling off complaints.

On the bright side, the kids got a night off of me nagging them to get all their junk done, Lucy made a very cute Valentine treasure hunt for Elsie (we are focusing on the fact that it was very cute and sweet and not on the fact that there were paper foot prints taped ALL over the floor), and they all got to finish off a pan brownies.
Good stuff.
Ya, he is way more fun than me.

13 comments:

annebabe said...

might have laughed a bit too hard reading this post. it hits a tad close to home, my friend. sigh, gotta those men folk even though their definition of bed time is LIGHT YEARS different from ours.

Amanda said...

I can even tell you that mom parenting and dad parenting are totally different. I remember one time when mom was gone and dad let us (me, howard, david, and richard) go to the store and in order to keep us happy (quiet) on the ride home he let us each pick out our own bag of bite size candy bars. It was a good trip while mom was gone. Oh, I'm gonna go ahead and add 'youngest of eight kids aunt' isn't much better of a sitter than the dad parenting, You should ask Sara about the first time I watched Emma for them... good times, I am the favorite aunt for a reason people.

Mom Nelson said...

Funny...as I was reading your blog, I was thinking about the very same incident that Amanda was talking about. Ya...Dad's are more fun than Mom's are...and I might say that those bags of candy were not the small bags because the ride home was from Salt Lake City to our house...about an hour and a half.

staci said...

Great story! It is seriously a man thing. I feel like I'm always playing bad cop & dad is good cop at our house. Dads are always the fun ones, but who gets things done?? Yep, MOMS!!! Go moms!! :)

jen said...

Sounds a little too familiar! Why do the dads always get to be the fun ones?

Audz said...

Amanda, you have a point there is a reason that you are the favorite aunt. Oh boy, I wonder why? That is dad for you. Yup, lazy to the bone.:)

whirligigdaisy said...

Well. I've just been sitting here, catching up on your blog, and I was way behind on it so I had to read all the way down to the laundry post and can I just say, how much I love reading this. So witty. Always makes me smile. Why weren't we best of friends earlier in life?

Hot Mom said...

I can report that there is only one Mom at this house. I have an added bonus this week of being the meanest mom in the world!!!!

Dad's rock...just ask the kids!!!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

We had this same conversation last night. We decided that there is a reason that a mother's primary responsibility is the 'nurturing of the children'...because dad's more or less suck at it! My hub is so dang patient and fun with the kids, but it has to be on his terms. When it's 10 o'clock and night and one of the kids 'forgot' their homework....his kindness and patience goes out the door!

Thanks for the post. Makes me feel like we're just like everyone else!

El Scorcho said...

I wish to put in a plug for all your men. Please take this in the spirit of love in which it is sent, if you want it done your way then you do it.
We get the job done and the kids love it. They also really do need us to be different from you because really, who wants two Moms?
We all know that in reality most men are just another kid that you have to take care of. So when we step up and attempt to take upon ourselves some of your duties just smile, say thanks and try to ignore all the stuff we missed because we really did try hard.

SchoMan said...

Amen, brother!

Unknown said...

I try to judge my mom-talents on the sliding scale of DAD PARENTING, and it turns out I am the Best. Mother. Ever.

It's is good strategy that we should all adopt.

Sara said...

All I will say about Amanda's first time babysitting Emma - it included otter pops, lots and lots of otter pops.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.