Friday, August 21, 2009

Okay, so she might be my daughter after all....

Audrey's first week of school was fantastic.
She was happy.
Yesterday and today....not so much.
Yesterday we talked for a while, she brushed her bruised little preteen ego self off and went out the door to play.
Today we talked for a while, she wasn't so much up for talking.
After a few minutes she turned to me and said, "Can I just go make a treat?"

That is so, so....Me.

I can't count the number of pans of Blondies I made during my teenage years.
Honestly, probably nearing the thousands.
It's hard to wrap my brain around the amount of ingredients my mom so willingly let me use.
Now, of course I do love me some fresh from the oven goodness.
Who doesn't? But...
It was the whole baking process that I loved just as much as the consumption.
After a frustrating day with friends and school and everything else; knowing that two sticks of butter + two eggs + all the other ingredients = something I can count on to turn out right was a life saver. A control freak's dream come true.

Not much has changed.
I still love that.
I love knowing what I am doing, making the tried and true.
I love the memories that making the oldies but goodies conjures up.
I love the smell of fresh baked goodies in my house.
I love that treats (or any delicious eatables) make my family happy.
I love that I can change not just my own mood, but others too.
I love taking care of my brood.
I love that sometimes an audible sigh escapes my lips just from putting my apron over my head.

Okay, it's true...I am a little crazy. At least that's what I am thinking writing all this. I guess the bottom line here is a confession that my house, and the kitchen in particular, is all the therapy I think I will ever need. And I suppose if my girlie follows in my foot steps that wouldn't be such a bad thing either.

The key, I've learned is a big family. I came from a big family and I have a ~sorta~ big family. You really have to keep the numbers up so you don't end up eating completely everything all by your lonesome.

Or, in Audrey's case, having your mother eat it all.
:o)

8 comments:

stace said...

that is my problem at the moment...heaven knows I won't let my kids eat all that junk, so I just have to do it myself.

annebabe said...

preaching to the choir, sister!!! There is NOTHING more satisfying than looking at a cake, (or brownies, blondies, pick your poison) and thinking, I made that. And its good. And it turned out perfect. And everyone will enjoy eating it. And I feel better about myself already. And I can at least do that right.

I soooooo get you. And your darling Audrey dear. :)

kennan said...

probably i need your blondie recipe STAT.

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

I love you....and your treats...and your daughter. I love when you need to make treats to and sometimes they make it over to my house. Let's go see Julie and Julia again, it really spoke some truth about the comfort of food and happiness.

Hot Mom said...

I wouldn't want you two competing for kitchen time, and who wants to stand in the way of therapy, soooo...if you other need an extra kitchen, I am here for you.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Me too. The smell alone makes me very happy! And, we always try to take half to a neighbor or friend. Then, it makes me feel even better!

Natalie Nelson said...

It makes me hungry just reading you blog this time. If David were reading it I am sure he would be wiping drewl from his mouth. And FYI I think this desert making thing runs in the family. Richard likes to bake cookies to destress and David is know for being the brownie king at our house. Even if it is 9:00 at night. Yep definatlly a Nelson thing.

jen said...

I love Audrey. I am so glad she has found something that is therapeutic for her. She is entering the yucky junior high-ish ages and I imagine she will be making lots of treats over the next few years. If you get too many treats over there, send them my way! Tell Audrey to head on over to our house with her business card and yummy no-bake cookies. We would definitely buy some!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.