Saturday, March 28, 2009

Will we ever imerge from

Lock down??

This is a question that has plagued me for years. And I am seriously beginning to think I may never return from the land of lock down.

Let me just give you a run down of a few of the items that are in lock down around here:
-Food. We have locks on the fridge and the pantry. The reason for these locks are two fold. First, we have a two year old -nuff said. Secondly, my older children will literally eat every snackish morsel they can get their hands on in mind boggling record breaking time. Trust me--I do feed them...a lot!
-Office Supplies. We lock down spare notebooks, spare scissors, spare pens, spare pencils, spare post it notes, spare glue sticks, spare colored pencils, spare crayons--you name it, it's under lock and key. I like to stock pile all of these things when they are on sale, crazy how quickly they disappear if left available to the masses.
-My room. Grant has a serious fetish with my make up right now. He also really enjoys a good roll of toilet paper, but it's mostly the make up thing that's the problem. I also have issues with a few other items that seem to go missing a lot-such as my tweezers. Why? I don't know.
-Audrey's room. Grant has discovered that she always has some sort of candy-stash some where in there and if you dig through enough stuff, you are bound to find it.
-The computer. These little stinks are like vultures when it comes to the computer. If it is left unlocked for a moment they are all clambering to get at it.
-Grant. He climbed out of his cage- eerr, I mean crib- the other day. What am I going to do without this option? His sleep is a very valuable commodity to me.

I am quite literally the gate keeper. And today two of my children are in solitary confinement--it never seems to end.*

Some day they will be grown and gone and I will miss all my little chick-a-dee's dearly, but I can assure you I will not miss the lock down days. Sure, I may look back on this and laugh. Frankly, it's laughable right now--that's just it--it is totally ridiculous!! The day will come, my friends, when I no longer carry multiple keys in my pocket on a daily basis and that will be a joyful day for Farmgirl.

*side note: The teenager was told this morning he would be spending the day in his room and that I would be bringing him his meals. After we left him he got his sister to deliver a message: Ask Mom if she is going to keep her promise and bring me breakfast in bed? What a Punk!*

10 comments:

Hot Mom said...

Teenagers...who needs em. I won't even tell you that they get snottier the closer they get to leaving flying the coop. I am thinking lock down is a neat trick. I may have to call Mr. Handyman. Right now I am using yelling, and it does not have the desired impact.

Mer said...

You give me so much to look forward to . . . thanks for giving me good ideas to store away for future use:)

Sarah said...

You are the Warden-- and you certainly have your share of wards. The funny thing is that your kids all have the intelligence, wit, and sarcasm of the parents, so it takes that much more effort to 'lock down' your house. You need stupider kids. Yep, that's the answer.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I had another case of missing tweezers this week. Seriously....it seems like I'm buying new tweezers every time I make it to Walmart (which is as little as possible). My eyebrows were beginning to take on a life of their own, but we found them (in the boys bathroom) just in time to clean up for church!

I was hiding the snack food in the food storage room. But it's been discovered. I give up.

Natalie Nelson said...

I know what you mean. I caught a small glips of what you are going through. Just the other day I realized William can now open the pantry door by himself. I find CofM cans stacked up on the kitchen floor and labels ripped off of the dressing bottles. Is it blue Cheese or Ranch?

jen said...

Don't forget the doors Mike is putting up to lock the kids out of the new office :).

P.S. I hope the teenager found his punishment a little less amusing by the end of the day, yesterday.

Megs said...

For me there is not much to do but lock-up/lock-down to keep the little ones out of stuff! I have found it gets harder when the older kids are the ones to leave stuff open/out so that the little ones can 'distribute'...ugh.
It is amazing that Sam(2) and Elizabeth (9mo) have lived this long with all of the choking/stabbing/DEATH hazards that the older girls leave all OVER!! :D
I HATE it when that predictable naptime ends...SO SAD!!!! My little Sam takes sporadic naps...at best! Usually I find him passed out on the ottoman, or on the stairway...at dinnertime.
*sigh*
Food- I swear that when my girls get home from school, you would think they had just escaped from a detention center where they have only eaten moldy crusts of bread for 3yrs...They eat EVERYTHING,
I feel your pain!
Office Supp.- I have given up on curbing the psychotic use of scotch tape in my house and bought a case at costco. I fold.
My Room- well, it is such a mess that who knows what is really in there anyway! Once again I am only trying to save my feet from those $%#^@% matchbox cars- SATOTAGE! It isn't tweezers here, it is nail clippers! I have to keep them on my key chain- it has been the only way to know where they are!
Kids room- Don't know what is actually on the floor...don't care.
The Computer- IT IS THE DEVIL! If I let them stay on the computer or watch TV as much as they wanted they would look like pasty creatures of the night! :D
I know I will miss them when they grow up...but some days it is just too easy to FREAK out at how crazy they make me!!! :D
Hang in there chicka!! :D You rock, for sure! :D

andrea said...

sigh...I need to get all of the info on installing locks. I do believe I will have to use this tactic with Piper. She just can't leave things alone.

stace said...

sweet...can I be in solitary confinement too?

Bryant P. Castleton said...

Too funny! Reminds me of the good 'ole days when my mom would hide all cookies, cereal and chips in various places around the house. As she found out it is hard to hide things in one house when you have seven hungry, creative boys to search the premises.

In addition to the food my mom also hid her "good scissors" as for some crazy reason she didn't want us to use them for our many projects (metal, plastic, etc.)!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.