Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dr. Seuss Days

I'm pretty sure I have established the fact that I am not the type of mother who makes her job any harder than it has to be. I don't get overly involved in craft projects, I don't like going the extra mile on school projects, I don't sit up nights dreaming how to dress my kids for spirit week at school. That's not to say I don't support all that stuff--I just don't feel the need to do it myself. Luckily, I have some self-starters for children who, despite my lameness, still like to participate in all that craziness.

It's Dr. Seuss week. It started with wear green day -okay, not so bad. I can get on board with that one. Then came wear red and white day -again, totally do-able. Next was crazy sock and hat day(not the ideal day to also be picture day--but, whatever). Today was dress up like your favorite book character day. My kids interpret that into your favorite Dr. Seuss character.

Correct me if I'm wrong, that sounds like an awful lot of work for me. Most days I'm doing good to just get them all in clean school clothes, hair combed, teeth brushed and out the door with a smile on their face without some sort of major melt down occurring. Let's just toss in the fact that today is Thursday. Thursday is early morning choir. The girls leave just after 7:30.

Being the understated-involvement, yet supportive mom that I am, I did not draw any attention to the book character event. BUT, when Lucy came to me with this diagram last night for her hair in order to be Cindy Lou Who I jumped right on board. Really, no one around here can resist Lucy. She is just so darn lovable, FUN-ee, a little on the crazy side and the nicest girl around.
We used one cup instead of three. She decided Cindy Lou didn't have the same ear issues we were dealing with. We opted for the one cup on top and pig tails on the side route.


Here's the finished product. She was thrilled with it and we all got a good laugh. That was about as far as she got with her costume, though, so apparently she is a wee bit my daughter after all.

This is another picture she drew last night. The arrows say "Lucy" and the caption reads, "Say I am beautiful or Die. Say it NOW!!! I'm get'in mad!" Evidently our little Cindy Lou-Lucy has a few issues she is working on.
See?
Little bit crazy, right?
But, oh so funny to me. Very few people know how incredibly witty Goose is.

Tomorrow is pajama day. Gee, I can hardly wait. I suppose that does remove the *put children in clean school clothes* step of the morning routine, so that's a good thing. ~

12 comments:

Hot Mom said...

I totally lucked out on this one. Riley decided last night to be the ZAMP in the Lamp. Hello DI, one lamp shade coming up for $1.50. Elsie told me she was Cindy Lou too. I took pictures of them at the school. I will have to post them.

annebabe said...

never fail to amuse me, farmgirl. :) yes, it is a lot of work for the moms. how did that happen? and BTW, goose is dang cute as cindy lou-who. kudos to the hairstyler.

Ginger said...

I love the hair-style! Apparently I have a little of your "costume creativity" issues. Case in point: For a bi-stake Halloween shindig, my daughters (age 14 & 12 at the time) couldn't really figure out a Book of Mormon character to dress up as. Their solution: T-Shirts with "I am a COG" ironed on. Translation: I am a Child of God. Hey, I'm game if they are. ;)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

She looks so cute! Way to go mom! I was totally bent out of shape on Tuesday because one of the boys had to do a biography book report dressed as the character (John Quincy Adams), while another had to participate in 'superhero day'...and part of his grade depended on it! I'm all about having fun, but to base their grade on it??? That's just stupid!
I be facebookin you today. I have some st. george questions.

jen said...

Great job Mary Ann! She looked really good. I even got to see her hair-do in person. I was the slacker mom on book character day. Jonathon could care less so that was no big deal. Brianne wanted to dress up. She just happens to have a red and white striped shirt. I told her to wear that and she could be the Cat in the Hat. Ha ha. She totally bought it and that is what she wore. I am such a slacker!!

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

She is a girl after my own heart! I loved dreaming up my own hair-do's! I just love Lucy!

staci said...

How creative are you guys?! WOW! I am so impressed you could actually do that and not see the cup in her hair too! I'll have to remember that hair do for when I have my own little Cindy Lou Who...

Megs said...

LOVE the schematics (sp?) that Lucy made for aiding your creative efforts!!! I swear she and my Amanda(8) are possibley soul sisters, with the threat of violence in common in thier seemingly harmless drawings...perhaps I am ignoring a budding psychosis, but I just laugh and laugh when she makes them! Just today I saw an envelope labeled "passwords" on which she wrote "open and die".
Miss.Goosey's hair-do turned out SUPER-CUTE!!! I will totally steal that idea someday! :D
Oh, and you are supposed to make sure the kids leave for school wearing CLEAN clothes???...um... uh,oh.....I gotta go do laundry then! ttyl! ;)

Sarah said...

Yeah-- I tell mark to "say I'm beautiful or DIE" all the time. Needless to say, I am gorgeous. Why would he lie??

I LOVE Lucy. So aptly named. She's a treasure.

whirligigdaisy said...

So cute. Yes, I'm a blurker too. Love that you all got a pig for Christmas. Your blog is adorable!!! I need blog make-over as I'm willing to write an occasional post, but not into the design aspects of it at all. Cheers for you.

Kristina P. said...

That hair is amazing! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I will be back!

saramarilee said...

Farmgirl, you are a great mom. We have two costumes in our house. Asher snatched up Harry Potter, so I told Jonah that Star Wars is a book (which it is technically--a book based on the movie), and he went as Obewan Kenobe (sp.).

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.