Friday, March 13, 2009

Shaken.

I am not one for dramatics. I don't consider myself all too dramatic and I try to down play the drama from my kids. When I got a phone call this morning from the principal reporting that Audrey said some one had followed her to school, talked to her and grabbed the handle bar of her bike I won't lie--I thought, did this really happen? Have they recently been discussing stranger danger at school and she is embellishing a story? She is, after all, the most dramatic of all my children.

I went over to the school to talk to her and get to the bottom of the story. I didn't run into the school all teary eyed and on the verge of a freak out (me and hysterics rarely meet)---I was on a mission to get to the truth and get back home to my busy day. After a few minutes of questioning I had decided we needed to report it, but I was still fairly skeptical. Just then another student came and confirmed her story--said he saw it happen. He said this same car had followed him and a friend the other day. The car descriptions were essentially the same--still kids can really exaggerate these things sometimes, right? Then he said he and his friend noticed the license plate had double letters. A game they call Oreo. Audrey said she wrote down the plate number. She went to her classroom to get her notebook out of her backpack. She came back and showed us what she had written. It was a double letter license.

My heart sank.
She was telling the truth.
It just makes me sick.

She did do the right thing. She got out of the situation. She wrote down the license number--Smart girl, Smart, Smart Girl!! We dealt with it, called the resource officer and did everything that needed to be done.

I think I am just a little shell shocked from what could have been. My dear old Audrey does give me a run for my money....But what would I do without her?
I never want to know.

I am one proud and happy Mama today. My girl didn't curl up and consent. She balled up a fist and hit for all she was worth. My girl didn't blank out on what to do next. She wrote down the license plate number and description. (Thank you cousin sleuth kit!)
That's my girl!!
Yeah, she's a keeper.

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What a very scary situation! I am glad she's OK.

When I was about 6, I was walking home from school with some older kids, and while waiting for a train to pass, some men in a truck tried to get me to come with them. They were about to get out, when the train passed. It was scary!

jen said...

That is so scary! Audrey is a smart girl. Good for her. I read your post just as the kids were getting out of school. I have never been so happy to see my kids walk safely in the door!

She is definitely a keeper.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I'm not one for freak outs either, but I'm sitting here freaking out for you! What a smart smart girly.

Fonzareli said...

I'm a freaker! I put the eeeeeeak in freak! I let a few tears fall reading this post. Oh man! Just thinking about your morning puts a lump in my throat. Glad all is well! and Audrey...WAY TO GO!!!!!

annebabe said...

i totally had goose bumps reading this! and wow, i can't believe she wrote the license number. i mean seriously WOW. that is so freaking impressive. i think 99& of adults wouldn't know to do that, let alone an elementary schooler. again, WOW. and it bugs me that happened on our turf, ya know? fight him brenna, fight!!

stace said...

kinda freaky...good ol' audrey pulled through though. She is wiser than her age!

I don't think I will be letting J man outside at all on his own.

Bottoms Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bottoms Family said...

Can you share the vehicle description and partial plate? That way we can keep an eye out for it.

Megs said...

Audrey is SOOOO AWESOME!!! You and Mike did a rockin' GREAT job with that girl! :D
Scary story, thanks for sharing- sometimes we parents get too complacent, and it is good to remember to make sure our kids know what to do if, heaven forbid, this ever happens! All while reading this post I was praying my Thanks that Audrey is strong, smart, and safe! :)

Ginger said...

Holy macaroni! I am soooo glad that everyone is safe and sound. You are an awesome mom!! If you question this, then look at what your daughter did.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.