Thursday, February 5, 2009

confessions.... Of An Uncrafty Mother

It's time for the world to know that not only am I not all that crafty- actually the world already knows that- I do not actively encourage craftiness in my children.

I hate it when a project comes home from school that requires a group craft effort. One of Lucy's choices for her spelling word homework was to make a mobile with the words. She wanted help and I put if off until she finally just gave up and typed them six times on the computer instead. Sad. And so pathetic. But, really? Isn't typing a more useful life skill than making mobiles? That's what I am telling myself.

Elsie has a fairy box of magic craftiness she got for Christmas (from her cousin, it certainly didn't come from me). It really is so cute. She has been coloring and stickering and cutting and pasting her little heart out. I was loving it- until she needed some help making a fairy head band. The first line of the instructions reads: With the help of an adult...Ugghh, I guess that's me.

I don't mind the kids crafting--okay, really I do--I hate the mess, but I deal with it. While I don't necessarily encourage it I do pat myself on the back for being supportive of the pass time that baffles me. Heaven knows Audrey has enough supplies stashed away in her room to last through the millennium and we have an entire stack-able drawer system devoted solely to crafting junk.

My confession is this:
I am not a big fan of doing craft projects with my children. My name is Farmgirl and I'm an anti-craft-ite. There I said it. Shun me if you must, but the truth had to come out.

Having said that; if at any time any one wants to make cookies...I'm the mom for you!

10 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

'crafting junk' says it all. I'm with you. Especially when they want a 'craft' book report done for 7TH GRADE HONORS LITERATURE! I mean, don't honors literature students know how to WRITE a report? There's enough of this hands on stuff involved in cub scouts to make me crazy. I really don't need the educational system adding to the chaos in my home!

Thanks for the opportunity to vent! I feel better now.

Fonzareli said...

No temples, no bunnies, no flowers and no...what was it...bonnies??? I remember!!

annebabe said...

anti-craft-ite. nice. great new term. gonna throw that word around and get some mileage out of it. perhaps i say this every time i comment (and who the hell cares if i do) I LOVE THAT YOU FINALLY HAVE A BLOG! every post has that mary ann magic, a dash of sassy, a splash of real life and a fat dollop of funny on top. my kind of treat.

farmgirl said...

Angie, Angie, Angie I miss you!!! We were the best 18 year old camp directors ever!!!!!

Sarah said...

I feel ya dawg. Not much craftiness spouting from me either.

My girls, on the other hand, have not found an object that exists that can not be glue-gunned into submission.

andrea said...

shun me if you must? bwahahaha...
I do love to be crafty but (whispering) I don't love to share crafting time with my kids. The mess and the chaos of involving little ones is more than I can usually bear.

stace said...

I LOVE crafts. It took me some time to come to terms with this and actually list it as a hobby, but the truth is out...I LOVE anything crafty. I save bits of ribbon with high hopes in the future. My only dream is that my children will want to craft with me.

I guess we can still be friends...as long as you make me some cookies.

jen said...

As a teenager I HATED anything crafty. Now I really enjoy them. The mess does drive me crazy and I don't love doing them with my kids. Beading with my little girl is about as crafty as I like to get with the kids. I am glad Jonathon chooses to do the computer stuff for his spelling projects. I would have no interest in making a mobile either! Maybe we could do a trade sometime. You can make me cookies and I could do a craft project for you :).

staci said...

I don't craft (not because I don't want to, because there just isn't a crafty bone in my body) and I don't cook either. Man, I suck! I do know how to eat though, so if you need a place to put some cookies, I'm your girl! :)

Hot Mom said...

My girls live for crafts, where they got it who knows. Sydney has a mobile craft carrier that she pulls out at the drop of a hat. the good news is she is old enough to craft with Riley. What will I do when Syd goes to college.

I personally prefer the term negative crafty, and as I have been told by my husband, "you can't cook, but you really know how to crank out the appetizers."

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.