Friday, January 30, 2009

Look Ma! No tonsils.

Audrey went under the knife four days ago. The following is an account of the big event.
At dinne
r on Monday night I reminded her again, seriously, about how important it was that she didn't eat. She told me she understood. "I mean a little thing like getting your tonsils out could turn into a major event in some one's life, all sorts of things could go wrong..." I cut her off and told her she would be fine.
Her line of thinking may have lead her to have some pretty crazy dreams that night. She said she had 5 different dreams. I only got the skinny on one because I didn't have the patience at 5:30 a.m. to go over the minutia of all of them. In her dream we went to the hospital, Dr. Chase did the surgery but nobody realized that he had a concussion. He messed something up and she
had to go on life support and had to be life flighted to Salt Lake. They couldn't help her there so then she went to D.C. and on and on shipped all over the country for over a year just looking for some one to help her. In the end she got to come home but she was a cripple. A cripple? Really? From a tonsillectomy? Poor girl, she was more than a little anxious.
She was very brave and even let them put her IV w
hile she was a wake. Of course she wanted me to photo document it:

She was completely loopy when she was waking up and almost immediately started using her own version of sign language. She was giving numbers for pain, thumbs up, thumbs down, and then started making shapes with her hands. I didn't understand so she started pointing to my purse, I was still clueless, she then pointed to a picture on the wall and then herself. She wanted a picture of herself. Got it.

Doesn't she look thrilled?
Pretty much the cutest part of the whole ordeal was Grant's reaction to having Audrey just laying on the couch. As a show of solidarity he got a blanket and pillow and cuddled up on the couch too. Awfully nice of him, although he didn't last long.

That's Lucy giving Audrey her robe she got for Christmas to borrow while she's feeling down and out. So sweet.
Just in case one invalid in the house wasn't enough, Elsie woke up with strep throat on Wednesday morning. I think we caught it about as early as possible- no new cases here. Don't worry, Grant showed the same courtesy to Elsie as he did to Audrey.

I think her exact thoughts are, "Would you please just get him off of my bed and out of my room...I feel miserable." And Grant is thinking, "What? This is real nice, right?"
Audrey is quite a trooper. Her biggest complaint? You guessed it--She's hungry. The kid doesn't have too many reserves so I sure hope she's back to solids soon or we won't be able to take her outside in a strong wind.
There you have it folks. Farmgirl's take on tonsillectomy round two. Lucy was round one about four years ago. Believe the professionals when they tell you the younger the better. They are not kidding. It's been much harder on a 10 year old. Live and Learn, right?

7 comments:

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Thank you Grant!!!! I love that he is smiling around all the sickies. Poor Audrey looks pitiful. I have seen her eat, she HAS to be STARVING! I hope all is back to normal next week! We need more park days!

andrea said...

oh the dream...you have to admit the idea of being operated on by an almost invalid and ending up in Washington DC (crippled no less!!!) is pretty terrifying. Poor Audrey. And Elsie. And you, LOL.

Here's wishing you a much better week!

annebabe said...

while this post is about audrey, i must admit, i am drawn to the pictures of grant. he is so happy and just so pleased with himself. like he has figured it all out and life is fantastic. you need to take/post more grant photos. please. and now, back to audrey, i hope she is on the mend. she needs to start consuming her usual 6000 calories per day again.

stace said...

here's a little tip: don't feed her mac and cheese until she is good and healed.

that is all I wanted after my tonsilectomy and then I proceeded to puke it all up.

just a little fyi.

farmgirl said...

Good to know, Stace. That was what she was asking for last night...glad I held off.

jen said...

Could Grant be any cuter? I love how big he is smiling in all the pictures. And, I love that Audrey asked to have her picture taken. She looks so miserable. Poor thing for having all those scary dreams. Hopefully everything is getting back to normal at your house.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Sounds like a fun week at your house! Poor girl (and girl's mom)!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.