Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Because I care...

I thought I would share some new found information that I acquired yesterday. First off, let me say that I consider myself a pretty decent parent. I have been blessed with some fab-o kids (even if I do say so myself) and I think my kid-raising skills aren't too shabby.

We have entered the realm of teenage-hood and, frankly, I worry about my kiddos. I have five of them, you know, and they are all going to go through this. The thing is, I remember being a teenager all too well and it-- well--it stinks!! I feel like I've got a handle on the toddler/little kid stuff. We still have our moments, but the little ones are just so sweet and so innocent it's hard to get all that bent out of shape with them. This, of course, is spoken by a cowgirl who has seen over thirteen years of rodeos. Perspective is Priceless. And I have no doubt it will continue to be so.

The thing that is getting me is I have one child who has had the mentality of a teenager most of her life and a teenager who is just now developing the teenager mentality. And it's not going to be stopping any time soon. Remember? Five children, here.

One of my sisters was visiting a few weeks ago and we were discussing the ups and downs the rocky roads the ins and outs of parenthood. She told me about a book she had come across that was really helpful to her. I took a mental note, but seeings how my mental note taking isn't what it used to be- that's about as far as I got with it. She then sent it in the mail to me, so thoughtful of her. I picked it up, looked it over, read a wee bit then put it down for a few weeks and didn't think much more about it. I ran across it again yesterday and read the whole thing. It was great.

The only other parenting helps I have ever payed any attention to are the Love and Logic stuff -which isn't bad, I think I was just ready for something new. This was a breath of fresh air to me. It really hit home. I hesitate to actually share the name because it seems just too...cheesey to be helpful. I asked Mike to read it and when I told him it was called 'Parenting With Love' by Glenn Latham he rolled his eyes. You see, here at chaos central we tend to add a little sarcasm to the mix and a book called 'Parenting with Love' is just asking to be crucified.

The principles and ideas he brings to the table are so insightful, too many to list here. I also found that the ideas would apply across the board -work for a three year old as well as a thirteen year old. I, for one, am excited about trying some of this stuff out.

Anywho, I wanted to share it with any one who might be looking for a new twist to the same old problems.
And -so help me- if all of you already know about this and neglected to share it with me I'm gonna be a little irritated.

4 comments:

andrea said...

I am a huge fan of parenting books. I think there is always more to learn in the complicated journey of child rearing--I will be checking it out FO SHO.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I get it. I don't usually read books like that because they tend to rub my face in the fact that I'm doing everything completely and totally wrong! You know...kinda like scriptures. just kidding.

I'll check it out! Thanks for sharing.

jen said...

Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out!

Sarah said...

Why didn't you just ask me? I am a PRO at parenting. I think I could even write my own best-seller "Parenting with Spoons" a la Rosa from The Book Thief.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.