Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Raise Your Hand...

If you got one of these for Christmas.
Oooo! Oooo! Me! Me! I did! I did!

Mike and I are the proud owners of a baby wiener pig. This was part of the Christmas present my parents gave to all of us kids. How great is that? We think it's fabulous!
My mom and dad are going to raise them out for us, they'll be ready to butcher in the spring. Ahhh, one of the many perks of being farmgirl.


Eat up little porkies!
I'm glad we met, but I think it's for the best if we don't maintain a close relationship. We both need our space, we need to grow-you, especially-need to grow. This will work out for the best in the end. It's not you, it's me. I just happen to enjoy bacon, sausage, ham, pork chops and the like. And you, my little friend can provide me with all of those things. We don't want any one getting too attached, right? Thanks for understanding, you are a prince among pigs.

These little darlings, of course, are living on my parents farm. We went to visit over the holidays. We did more than just checke
d out the swine...

We went cross country skiing-
Here's Lucy with one of her best cousins Charlotte.
My very good sport of a brother-in-law Jason took them out many, many times.



We went sledding-

I know Mike and I look pretty fantastic.
Your all jealous, admit it. It was a great ride right up until I fell off and took Mike down with me.


My brother David built a bonfire. The kids had a great time getting it going. We had a hayride to take us to and from our sledding location; the creek. That's Grant in the red- he was never more than about a ten foot radius from the tractor. He is slightly obsessed. The fire deterred him only momentarily.


This is a picture of the back side of my parents farm (well, some of it any way)
We also did a lot of just hanging out, playing card games, eating, visiting and relaxing.


How beautiful is this picture?
This is the view from the back of the house.

I may be slightly biased, but I think my parents live in just about the prettiest place on Earth.
It is totally crazy being there with all of my siblings and their kids, we are a huge group.
The memories made are so worth the momentary insanity.
I love going home, it grounds me.


13 comments:

bobbi said...

Loooove this post and those pictures!! Thanks for sharing-- I resent an invite to my blog. I think I left out a letter in you email address? Hopefully it works this time. I love going home, too-- and ditto for the momentary insanity comment, but worth the memories made!

Fonzareli said...

I love reading your posts!! I have to say though, my parents have a pretty rad pad too!!!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

mmmmmmm.....bacon!

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

i want to live at your parents after this post... or at least spend Christmas vacation with them.. cross country skiing?!?!


and i don't know what to say about your pig. i love myself a little meat, but don't know how i feel about seeing it alive first... you are farmgirl, and it is great :)

annebabe said...

yes, i agree. there is something about cache valley/southeast idaho that is well, a little bit of heaven on earth. people who haven't been there don't understand. and i'm all about me getting some pork pork. loved your "break-up" with the pig. its not you, its me. classic. good eats farmgirl.

jen said...

I love that you got a pig for Christmas :). You will have lots of yummy meat later on this year. So jealous. That last picture is amazing. What a beautiful place. Glad your family was able to all get together. And, I am jealous of you and Mike going sledding. Looks like good times.

staci said...

Good times for your fam over the holidays it looks like! That is freaking awesome you got a pig for Christmas. The gift that keeps on giving right? Well, at least until he's all gone I guess! ;)

And I'm with you on going home. Especially at the holidays. There's nothing like it.

Happy New Year to your dang cute fam! Tell Miss E. I said hi! :)

andrea said...

wiener pig? I have never heard of such a thing. Or such a gift for that matter. But I love it. I only wish you were raising it in your backyard so it could provide us with more bloggity entertainment. Where are your parents at in ID? I agree...the farm looks bee-u-tiful.

Sarah said...

So teach me-- what makes a 'weiner pig' different from, say . . . a 'pork-belly pig' or a 'some pig' or 'humble pig'? (thanks charlotte)

farmgirl said...

My parents live about 7 miles south of Preston and about 1/4 mile north of the Utah border in Fairview. When I was little I loved riding down to the state line, putting one tire in Utah and one tire in Idaho and being in two states at once.

I'm not totally sure what makes them a wiener pig...it's just what it says on the card. And I thought you all may just like the fact that I threw the word "wiener" in the post some where. ;0)

Bob said...

Totally crazy Mary Ann, I was cracking up with your breakup. But who breaks up with a person that is TOTALLY committed to your relationship? We will be looking forward to some Wiener bacon in the spring....

SchoMan said...

Wiener bacon?! Why does that make me uncomfortable?

Bryant P. Castleton said...

I love that you got a pig for Christmas! I think your parent's farm is a little more "Charlotte's Web" than our customers farms typically look like but that makes it all the more charming. I love your Cache Valley pics and it definitely made me a bit homesick! At least your parents are still there - I have to visit mine in Boise and that definitely is not "home"!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.