Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Can we talk about....

Garage sales?
Should you ever have a garage sale and one of my children happens along, go ahead and refuse to sell any thing to them. Tell them you've labeled everything wrong and there is supposed to be a "1" in front of all the prices.

My kids have come home with some of the most unusual items. Being the generous little people that they are; garage sales are where they purchase many a gift. I was once given an ash tray. I know you are all thinking, "Did I miss something? Does Farmgirl smoke?" the answer is NO! I do not nor have I ever been a smoker. It was an ash tray made out of wood carved like an African mask...used mind you. It was one of the smelliest gifts I have ever received, to his credit the giver was only about six at the time.

Lest I sound too negative I should mention that there have have been some great finds. I'm not an anti-garage sale kind of a girl. In fact I am a lover of the trash-to-treasure mantra. However, they have also brought home some really weird things.

The latest and greatest being a pair of crutches. "Is someone hurt?" you ask. "Are we in need of crutches?" No, we are not. I received a phone call from the girls on Saturday letting me know they had visited a neighborhood garage sale. Audrey was very excited to tell me that she had purchased a pair of crutches. Why? I don't know, she thought they would be fun I guess.

Sure enough within a day she had seriously injured
(stubbed) her toe and was in dire need of crutches. Luckily for us we are now the proud owners of just such an item. I have a sneaking suspicion that the foot/leg injuries in our house are going to be on the rise....here's to good health!


6 comments:

andrea said...

what a blessing she was able to find crutches at the perfect time. I don't know...sounds like divine intervention to me?

I am sad thinking about all of the great Audrey stories I have missed up until now. She is the best material ever.

Fonzareli said...

AH! The garage sale! *sigh*. The last item we brought home was an old school desk. I couldn't pass it up. 5 bucks and best of all, it was ingraved with the letters PHS! "HOW OUR HEARTS DO SWELL"!!!!

Sarah said...

Madelin brought me home a couple pairs of board shorts--- in girls size 10. I couldn't have squeezed myself into them with a pound of butter and a circus strong man. Guess I should be flattered??

jen said...

That is too funny. We lend Dallin's pair of crutches out (from his fateful Turkey Bowl accident) quite often. Those crutches will probably come in pretty handy. Whether it is for your family or someone else's :).

Bottoms Family said...

Okay John and I are dying laughing at this! Your kids are awesome. They are funny! Johnny thinks Lucy is hysterical!

Hot Mom said...

I LOVE garage sales. I will pick them up Saturday morning bright and early. Why limit them to the neighborhood? I can give them WHEELS to expand their buying area.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.