Wednesday, January 5, 2011

There and Back again. A farmgirl's tale.

This is the story of how we all very nearly lost our dear old friend, farmgirl.
She had a brush with the nasty of the nastiest, that mean old monster, depression.
Farmgirl has always prided herself on being able to find the funny and some sort of joy in all the journeys life has taken her on.
The last two years life has taken her on a journey that has worn and frazzled her right to the bone.
Farmgirl's not afraid of living tight. She's not afraid of hard work. She's not afraid of buckling down and just making things work. She's good like that.
The 2009-2010 school year was a tough one, it beat her up pretty badly, at the end of the 2010 school year she fled to Idaho, home, back to the farm and the roots that make her strong, and hid for the summer.
She worked on all her farmgirlness and came back fighting. She was ready to take on the world again.
Only, it didn't last. Not as long as she was hoping it would.
By October-ish she was starting to fade again. How could this be?
There's no easy escape in the middle of the school year.
And that's when the nasty of the nastiest started to creep into her life.
Let's be honest, he had been creeping for a long, long time. But, he finally saw his moment.
You won't make it, he said.
Why try?, he said.
Things will never change, he said.
And she began to listen.
She could feel herself closing down, bit by tiny bit.
Thanksgiving time, and she was struggling to hold it together.
December came.
Things that have always brought her copious amounts of joy, brought her little.
December was a remarkably hard month.
She kept going through the motions of what a normal farmgirl might do, but she felt as though her little farmgirl heart had been squooshed.
There was no joy in Mudville, Mighty farmgirl had struck out.
Until one day, a particularly hard, sad day, a day she cried her eyes out to her dear old hubby, she cried and she cried, all the afternoon she cried, she cried the evening away and into the night she poured all her heartache and worry out to him, told him of how she wanted to avoid so much of her life and most everything in it.
She told him of her visit from the mean old monster, depression.
And you know what? He listened. He heard her. He got it.
Some how, some way he said what needed to be said, said what needed to be heard.
After another week or so she started to have glimpses of the happiness she once knew.
For a few moments a day she would feel like her old farmgirl self again, really like she was her, and not just pretending to be her, like she had been for weeks and weeks.
And now, my friends, after a much too long absence, I am happy to report that she is starting day three of that full time farmgirl feeling.
And it's nice.

She is not fool enough to think that her battle with the nastiness is over, but she is a fighter.
She is a survivor and she will make it.

15 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Oh, my awesome friend! I'm so glad that you wrote this. I wish I could say that I don't understand, but I do. I really do. My closet floor has seen it's share of crazy mom tears! And I'm so proud of you for pulling through! You are a tough Idaho sort of gal, and I have no doubt you'll feel better and better each and every day (except when you have a bad day or two or three....because we all do). And I'm so glad that you're husband 'gets it'. Having someone who understands makes all the difference in the world. Keep at it Farmgirl!!!

annebabe said...

bravo. it needed to be said and you said it. Mighty Farmgirl hits a homerun! glad to know #1 that I'm not alone in the world fighting the nastiness that sets in sometimes and #2 that you survived! We need more survival stories to buoy each other up. that and lots more chocolate. I've decided that's my cure. so three cheers to Farmgirl for being a survivor!!

Fonzareli said...

BRAVO! Standing O! I've seen that darn Mr. Nasty before and he's a JERK FACE! I am so very glad that you have someone you can talk to, cry with, and of course, who will listen to you. I sure love you to pieces. You my dear farmgirl are not only a fighter,and survivor, but an inspiration.
Keep on keepin on...and smile darn ya, smile!
HUGS!!!

Karin Webb said...

Might this happy post have something to do with the fact that you got up and went running this morning?? Who am I kidding, it was painfully freezing this morning so it probably didn't help at all. But if you ever need to vent about Mr. "D" while we run, I will be there for you. And I'm sure I'll have my fair share to vent as well...

jen said...

I know a little bit about that nastiness over here too. It likes to grab a hold of me every once and awhile and it is no fun. Thank goodness for a caring husband that listens and actually gets it. Having a partner in crime makes life a little easier. Hang in there.

jen said...

P.S. I am so sorry you have been dealing with this over the past year. I am so glad you are a survivor. Here is hoping for many more days of 'full time Farmgirl feeling' :).

Hot Mom said...

I wish I could give you a hug. Maybe you just need some southern Arizona sunshine?!?!

Hang in there Farmgirl. Nothing lasts forever, at least that is what I tell myself.
Love to you and yours.

Amanda said...

Sis- I wish it wasn't so late, or I would call you right now. But rest assured, you will be getting a call from me tomorrow. We gotta chat. Lots to talk about. I Love you SO MUCH!!!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I don't really know what to say, but I am glad that you shared this, because why is this the kind of thing that seems so hard to talk about. I keep thinking that we really need to spend an afternoon together. Maybe one of these days I will make a little trip up to see you. But not until January is over, because my part time job is an overtime job for the month of January. And then I will have time to going back to fighting the nastiness in my own life. So thank you for your example.

Natalie Nelson said...

I'm sorry to hear your spirits have been visited by an unwanted guest. I am glad to hear that he is not as constant a companion as he has been. Hold on tight to those times when you feel like you again. It helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel even if it is very dim. You are always an inspiration to me. Love ya.

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Ditto to all things said above!
Hear you and Love you!
xoxo

bobbi said...

All I can say-- is we LOVE you!!!! Hang in there!!!

stace said...

so sorry good friend. If I was there I could try to feed that nastiness away. It might not work, but it would be fun to try!

Seriously though, my heart goes out to you. Depression is a difficult thing to deal with. I hope this is the end of it for you!

staci said...

So glad to know you are feeling good & that Farmgirl is back! I am also so glad to know that there are many others who deal with feelings of depression like I do. It's in my genes & sometimes just forcing myself out of bed is the best I can do. Thank goodness for that fabulous hubs of yours for saying what needed to be said & heard. Plus, I think a good cry always helps too! So glad you're back! Here's to many, many happy days ahead!!

Ginger said...

I have so totally fought this battle! Thank heavens for husbands that love us and understand that all is not always blamed on PMS! Keep fighting the good fight!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.