Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Efficient Kitchen.

A few years ago my mom remodeled and updated her kitchen. It is beautiful and super efficient. She now has two ovens. A conventional and a convection.

Last summer during my Farm Days (which may or may not have actually been Farm Month) I decided to make some peanut butter cookies. My mom wasn't around that day--it was just me, my chitlens, the men folk coming and going from the fields and a few little cousins roaming around. I knew I needed to make for the masses, because- well, there's always masses of people at my moms.

So began my adventure...I pulled out her baymix, (the giant kind that hold crazy huge amounts-like 18 cups of flour) with that bad boy I was prepared to bake for the multitudes. Now, a word on these particular cookies, first of all--they are delicious, secondly--you have to roll them in sugar prior to baking them. This not only adds to the deliciousness, but adds another step in the whole baking process.

I made my cookie dough. So, I was now ready to start baking. I thought to myself: Self, you don't have one of these newfangled convection ovens, but word on the street is you can bake multiple sheets of cookies at one time. That sounds like a good idea. And if you also fire up the regular oven you can have one more sheet baking in there as well! WoW!! This is going to be cookie central in no time!

I got the first batch in and started getting the next batch ready, now to be more efficient I always do the old pan switch-a-roo when I make cookies---get the next batch ready so that as soon as the first batch is out in goes the next one, you know the system. I really didn't think through this well, because I had six pans flying in and out of those ovens. I could barely get the hot cookies off the pan, scoop the dough, roll the dough in the sugar and back on the pan before the alternate oven was beeping for me to get that batch out.

Mix in the fact that I had multiple children coming and going needing me for random things, plus the boys (okay, they are men-but my little brothers will always be "the boys" to me) coming in scrounging up something for lunch, not to mention I was quickly running out of room in my mothers very large kitchen to stack cookies-- it was total mayhem.

Yes, I was making fantastic cookies at an alarmingly fast rate.
Yes, I was still helping all those little people.
Yes, I was finding food for the big boys.
Yes, I was keeping the rest of the house some what together for my mothers return.
All of these were good things.
It was just a little overwhelming in the moment.

I tell you the Analogy of the Efficient Kitchen because that is
kind of how my life feels right about now.
Between Mike and I, we have found all sorts of avenues for bringing home the bacon. It seems one of us is always doing some sort of work related something or other.
We have five fabulous children who all need us (me mostly, but whatever). There's lots of homework, reading, listening, playing, just plain old family stuff to do.
We both have church callings that can be fairly time consuming (Mike mostly, but whatever). We are both gone every Wednesday, and he is always gone one weekend a month camping.
Throw in all the rest of the craziness that we call "life" and it is one crazy train ride.

It's all good stuff.
I wouldn't want to change a thing. I am grateful for the work opportunities, my wonderful family, and for the opportunity to serve in the church.
I'm not complaining here, I'm just saying that sometimes life feels like making cookies in my mom's kitchen--just flying at me faster than I can gobble it down.




And, because you knew I couldn't leave you without passing it along...
here you go...
:o)

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips
For sprinkling: 1 tablespoon sugar, regular or superfine


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Place sprinkling sugar — the remaining tablespoon — on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.
Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Makes about 45 cookies.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

this is a great analogy. And those cookies really are fantastic! (oh man, total craving coming on right about now...dang it!) Life gets really crazy, I can't imagine doing it with five kiddos. How in the world did mom do it with eight of us? This next week will be so fun. Drive safe up here and we'll see you in a few days!

andrea said...

First of all...thank you for the recipe. I love peanut butter cookies! Second...(I am very far behind) I love your new look. And I am super impressed. Third, I love it when you say, "I said to myself, Self..." and lastly...great post. I can relate right now. Only I am stuck in a very inefficient kitchen. Must change that.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I love it when you say, "I said to myself, Self..." also. I say that too. Are we related? Oh yeh, I forgot. Anywhoo, great analogy. For me it is my hamster wheel, that just keeps on spining faster and faster and well pretty much out the door and down the street most of the time. It is crazy, but I suppose it is more exciting than having nothing to do, huh?

jen said...

Great post. I kinda feel the same way right now. I have to agree with Andrea- my kitchen is very inefficient. I need to figure out how to fix it and FAST :). I suppose a full night of sleep might help... Anyways, you are super woman for taking care of those five adorable children of yours plus everything else you have going on. You do it all so well.

annebabe said...

of course, all the great life analogies are cookie related! I mean, come on, its a natural comparison. There's the sweet part, the nutty part, its how everyone's life is. And now not only am I craving peanut butter cookies, I'm craving a road trip to Farmland to make said cookies! That's the power of your blog post. Its got a strong hold on me.

Mom Nelson said...

I think it was good I was out of the kitchen that day ...can't wait to see you this weekend...are you bringing the peanut butter cookies cause they sure sound good :)
And BTW you are doing a GREAT job of all you have to do.

Natalie Nelson said...

I get that same feeling off and on. Just when I think I have it, I loose it. Lifes funny that way. Always keeps you on your toes.
I only hope I can handle it as well as you seem to. I know you are nt perfect but sometimes I do wonder.

staci said...

Great post. You are a fantastic blogger. I love how you write!! I am going to be trying your pb cookie recipe. Yum!

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

I am with your mom, you are doing a great job....you are amazing at making lemonade out of lemons. I KNOW how busy you are and am always impressed at your willingness to help EVERYONE! (espicially me) You even manage to be a fantastic friend through all of it. Hang in there, I know things will get better and maybe not SO busy.

p.s. wish I could make those cookied at my house....maybe call me next time you make a batch and I sneak myself over.

kelli said...

I know exactly how you feel. Since I just headed back to work (in the evenings), and back to school, and we've picked up a paper route (for the kids, of course, but you know who's ultimately in charge of it!) it seems like we're pumping out cookies pretty durn fast. We've missed a few beats and forgotten to pick kids up from basketball practices and other various places, but all in all....it's getting done. Good luck!!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for juggling my 3 little 'cookies'.

You're a superstar :)

Audrey Eliza said...

Wow. That is a lot of cookies! Look I am still alive! Yea!

Megs said...

*laughing maniacally* You have just saved my sanity! (well...what is left of it anyway)
I can now blame my inefficiencies and messy house on the fact that our kitchen is the worst kitchen in the HISTORY of kitchens... Thanks Farmgirl! ;) Since we are renting I don't even have to be stressed about changing it...
MUH-wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
I love you.
I think I shall go make cookies, now that I have a Idaho-girl-proven recipe! ;) PERFECT!!!
.....oh crap, what do I blame the disaster in the garage on? I nominate husbands for that blame game... ;D
tootle-ootle-ooo! ;)

Megs said...

btw, you are the AWESOMEST of all AWESOME Moms/wife/Farmgirls. You take life head-on and smiling, and I am always impressed with your positive attitude...even if you do NOT have the fancy double ovens! ;)
Life is TOTALLY like you described, I guess the ability to juggle helps us as well huh?
I shall go invest in some flaming knives to practice THAT skill right away! ;)

Natalie Nelson said...

Hey thanks for the non choco. cookies. David said that it looked like the I Love Lucy episode when she worked in the chocolate factory.

Natalie Nelson said...

Hey thanks for the non choco. cookies. David said that it looked like the I Love Lucy episode when she worked in the chocolate factory.

stace said...

isn't it interesting how lives can be so different, yet so much the same? I definitely can relate. And, yum to those cookies.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.