Thursday, March 18, 2010

Idaho Cookie Call

Oh. Hello, there.
Miss me?
Out of the loop for a while there...and re-entry into blog life was a little slow.

Spring break has come and gone--and as I have already mentioned,
I spent mine in the good old gem state on a very important Idaho Cookie Call.
Cookies (and other baked goods) were not actually the reason for the the visit...

The main reason for the visit was these two lovely ladies.

Miss Anna: the beaming eight year old.
She pretty much wore this face the entire weekend.
This girl was one happy amiga, being baptized clearly agreed with her.


And cute baby Tily: also known affectionately by her brother
(and now the whole family) as "Baby Chilly".
After two crazy boys (one of which has been nick named-rightfully so-'Wild Bill', well actually three boys if you want to count my brother who is just as crazy as his sons) my sister-in-law, Natalie, was over due for this little sweety.

The whole Nelson crew was in attendance (minus one BIL). That's pretty good.
All 7 of my siblings and their chillens were there--we are a big, big, big, and growing group.
We're not a half bad looking bunch of people...wanna see?


What'd I tell ya? Not bad, right?
top row: we have Amanda, David, Richard, Yours truly, Howard, and Molly
sitting: Jonathan, Mi Madre, Mi Padre, and Sara

All right, I have put it off long enough. It is time I tell you why we call this visit the Idaho Cookie Call. So, baptism and baby blessing...what does that call for? Naturally, a big family dinner, right?
Dinner was simple. Soup and Subs. Perfect.
Dessert? Cookies, MMMmmmMMM.
Dessert might have possibly gotten out of hand. Many of us were assigned to bring cookies and boy oh boy did we ever deliver.

How does 57 dozen cookies sound?
We figured it came out to roughly about a dozed per person, that's normal--isn't it??
Of all the things I have ever captured on film, I have NO idea why I didn't get this one. It was a cookie extravaganza.
The dinner plates hadn't yet been put away and smaller dessert plates set out when the cookies emerged-- the children were literally filling a full size plate, stacking a wide variety of the delectable goodness and walking away with HUGE grins on their faces.

Why don't I just go ahead and air out all the Nelson dirty laundry....
those 57 dozen cookies?? Ummm....ya, they were gone the next day.
In our defense, we did send them home with people. Something you should know-that is fairly obvious at this point- we can really put away the goodies. It's a darn good thing life isn't fair or we would need a wide angle lens for the above photo.

Wanna know what else the following week included??
~Peanut butter brownies (two pans actually, there was a minor measuring mix up and we ended up with a 9x13 and cookie sheet full, included in the measuring mix up was six times the amount of chocolate chips) *note to pregnant ladies: have someone double check your math. ;o)
~Cinnamon Rolls. What??? They had been previously frozen and needed to be baked and eaten. We don't let food go to waste, there are starving people in China, ya know?!
~My mother and I may or may not have stopped at the Peppridge Farm factory outlet store to purchase more cookies in bulk. We did not, I repeat DID NOT purchase any. This may or may not have been due to the fact we were too late in the day and all the good stuff was gone....OR....maybe we just decided that would just be plain crazy to buy more cookies. Cuz we have good, common sense like that.

9 comments:

Natalie Nelson said...

Glad to have you back. I was begining to wonder if something had happened to you. I just have one question. Were the cookies you made for me counted in the 57 doz.?
Love your posts even if they are the ramblings of a Nelson.

Natalie Nelson said...

Oh, BTW love the picture of my little Tily.

annebabe said...

I am a long lost Nelson!! somewhere, back in the middle ages perhaps, we have a shared relative, a cross over of the family branches. because, with 57 dozen cookies, I just know we are related. I'm so practicing my booty wiggle!

ps- cute family picture, you literally are the black sheep with your gorgeous raven locks. ;)-

Amanda said...

In the pregnant lady's defense, I did request help in making these brownies, but someone had to go pick up their daughter and left me alone in the kitchen. As for the choc chips, mom got busy talking and I really wanted to get the goodies in the oven and eat them up, so despite my earlier disaster of tripling the batch, I took the liberty of finishing them up myself. You have to admit, they were delish! Such a fun week, thanks for the lift home, I am so glad that I could stay those few days with you. Oh, by the way, I was up there working this past week and I asked mom if we could go get breadsticks and salad for dinner and she shot me down. I guess three times in that short of a period was just too much for her to handle. But no worries, the Wee Webb survived.

Mom Nelson said...

I see absolutely nothing wrong with 57 DOZEN COOKIES...after all as you said we are a big and growing group...

Audz said...

Hey, I'm back! Yes, Anna banana was very happy! Tily was just so cute! I agree with grandma! I see nothing strange about 684 cookies. (I did the math!) I love our family!

whirligigdaisy said...

I didn't even miss you, cause I don't check blogs that often. So I was only two posts behind. Pretty good, I'd say. Love the new look. I totally don't know how to do that to my blog.

kelli said...

Sounds like our family get togethers. There's never ever a shortage of food....or poopy diapers. That's what it's all about though, right?

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I love Pepperidge Farm factory. I am rather impressed at your restraint. Sounds like the perfect weekend with food, fam, and fun. Isn't it nice when these things coincide with each other. We had that in October when Raeley(Andrew's) got baptized and Ryan (Jen's) got blessed. Oh and I love the family picture, but I like the one on the swingset better.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.