Thursday, March 24, 2011

I'm afraid I've been thinking-

a dangerous pass time, I know.....

So, in contemplating the massive project that packing my house will be, I have been assessing all our "stuff". I'm really not a hoarder. Frankly, I don't have enough storage in this house to be much of a hoarder, and my mad cleaning/organsizing skilz just don't jive with it.

However...

I do have one area of my life that is pretty unorgansized and very messy.
And it's an area I am in and out of every.single.day.

My recipes.
Mike calls it my "filing system".
Be sure to use air quotes when you say that.
Oh, and roll your eyes while your at it, too.

Here's the deal:
Besides all my regular recipe books, I was given a recipe collection book at one of my bridal showers, everyone there contributed. I love it.
(my local besties should know that my beloved breadstick recipe is actually from
Anneke---one of my oldie moldie school day chums. Hi, Anneke!!)

I don't use all of the recipes all the time, but it's where the magic started.
So, it is also where all of the recipes I have collected over the nearly 17 years I have been married are residing.
There are A LOT of them. A LOT.
And many of them have sentimental value, actually most do....the paper they are written on, the handwriting that belongs to the friend who wrote it down for me, when I started making a particular recipe....the list goes on. Let's just say I cook/bake from the heart.

The dilemma:
I'm the only one who can find anything in the "filing system"....
I know exactly what color the scrap of paper is, whats been spilled or sprinkled on it, what category it's under....plus, no one else shows "the system" the proper respect--all the pages are falling out, People! You can't just willy nilly pick it up and start leafing through! No! It's a delicate balance between me and my "filing system". We know each other very well, been through some tough times together, created some good stuff.

What I am saying is this--there's no way I could part with my beloved "filing system", it will most likely need to be buried with me.
But, what I am considering is making it a little more accessible to others. I'm speaking mostly of my family (the kiddos specifically), but I was wondering if I should create another blog--
farmgirl food
perhaps, and put them all there.

Couple things:
First of all, I have never professed to be an amazing gourmet chef--but I can hold my own in the kitchen. I'm more of just a plain old good food kinda cook.
Secondly, we all know that I can't do anything without a whole lotta rambling, so I'm thinking I'll give the story behind the recipe and all that good stuff.
And lastly, we all know it will be mostly treats. Nuthin' wrong with treats!

So.....whatchathink?

And before Sarah reads this
and comes over here
to beat some sense into
me, telling me to focus on
packing and not
take on any more projects!...
(she told me today that
I was crazy to
consider getting strawberry
jam made before the move)....
I'm talking about doing this once I am
settling in my new abode.

:o)

15 comments:

Natalie Nelson said...

Speaking of recipes. Can you pass pn that main stay chocolate chip recipe you made when we were down a few weeks ago. Has it really only been a couple of weeks? It seems like a lot longer than that. We I wish I were closer so I could help you pack and get you guys up here already. I can hardly wait. But if I were closer than that would mean I wouldn't be here. Hum. That doesn't make any sense. Oh well. Later.

jen said...

Yes, you should definitely start a "Farmgirl Food" blog!! I would be an avid follower!

I have thought about making a secret food blog just so I could organize my recipes. I am always misplacing recipes I need!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I say yes. YOu could be the next Pioneer Woman. Who knows where it would lead. Go for it.

Hot Mom said...

I will cast two votes. One for me, and one for Syd because she is in that "meeting new people at college and getting recipes from them" stage, and she LOVES your treats.

Hot Mom said...

P.s how can you be doing jam? I couldn't move my jam so I had to give it all away when we moved.

Mom Nelson said...

I know where your filing system came from and just how it works...the old scrap of paper...the hand writing..the smeared food....and then one day someone made me a beautiful recipe file box (that I love)....

annebabe said...

where can I sign up? Farmgirl Food is downright brilliant. I'm all over it like white on rice. Like me and you on a chocolate cake. ;)

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

I am in! I already have many of your recipes but I could always use more.

bobbi said...

I agree with the next Pioneer Woman---comment. "Farmgirl Food"!! Seriously!! And as I was reading your post-- I was thinking, she should write a book-- you write SO well! A recipe book!! You are onto something there, Farmgirl!!! Good luck with the move and all-- pretty cool you are going back to P-town!! But if you ever visit Yellowstone Park, drive on through to Cody and visit me!! Loves!

staci said...

I have that same sort of "filing system" going on over here too. It's pretty sad. But I know where it all is and that's all that matters right? Yes please to "Farmgirl Food". I'm in!

Fonzareli said...

BRILLIANT! I'll be your first follower!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Yes. Please do!

I have the same problem too. All of my old recipe cards got dumped out of their little box so many times by the kids, that they are now stuffed into a gallon zip lock bag. I have to sift through the whole bag every time I want to use one. But I always know exactly what I'm looking for. I know the card color, the shape, the size and the spills. I know I could organize them, but it just wouldn't be the same!

Anneke said...

I am DYING! We must be friends or something cause a couple of weeks ago I had the EXACT same idea for the EXACT same reasons (other than the packing it all to move to another state reason). I just haven't dared give out the blog address cause I keep thinking oh, who wants to see my recipes? But you've given me a new hope. And it makes me way excited cause we can check out each other's blogs for great new ideas! We rock.
I am also go glad to hear that your family is showing the same love towards the breadsticks as we all do - :)
I will keep my eyes open for new info on farmgirl's food! yay!

whirligigdaisy said...

i hate to cook, but I LOVE to eat. I think we'd make a perfect pair.

Karin Webb said...

I would love your recipes, AND the stories behind each one. But I say boo to making jam before the move- just one more thing to pack and haul (unless of course you eat it all, then by all means, go right ahead).

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.