Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Job Security.

The very best form of job security, that I know of, as a mother, is to get sick for a few days.
I'm not talking about feeling a bit under the weather,
I'm talking about in bed for 36 hours straight.
I had a little run in with strep throat...I'm feeling VERY confident that my job is secure.

And, by the by, can we talk for a moment about strep?
First of all let's just say---IT STINKS!
I'm not a regular strep getter.
I have only had it twice in my whole live long life--once three years ago and this week.
--kinda felt something coming on Saturday night, little worse Sunday morning, pretty darn crummy by Sunday night, like a truck hit me and parked on my throat Monday morning (insert start of antibiotics here-thank you!) Horrible all day Monday, little better Tuesday, feeling good today--
That's plenty for me, thankyouverymuch.

Now, back to my job...
I don't mean to say that I am completely indispensable,
but, it appears that I am completely indispensable.
Mike and the kids function without me much better when they have a little warning, like when I go away for my sister weekend.
But, catch them on the unawares and it's tough on the troops.

Monday was the day that didn't exist for me--
--I was pretty miserable--
it was also the last day of spring break for the kids.
Mike was working so the kids fended for themselves.
Adam was assigned dishes for the day instead of just his normal 'dinner dishes duty'.
When he came to tell me goodnight on Monday he said to me,
"Wow, Mom. You must do a lot of dishes during the day."
Yes, Dear, I certainly do.

Two things you should know: #1 we are dishwasherless at the moment-so, yes, lot's of dishes. #2 Mike went first thing Monday morning and purchased paper products to use while I was down. So, yes, still lot's of dishes even just with the dishes to make the meals....tell me about it!

Yesterday I was still feeling under the weather, but good enough to get 'must do' things done,
like, the laundry (lest I be buried alive by it today).
So, I would climb out of bed, switch the laundry, fold a little, then go lay down again.
A slow process but, I got it done.
But that was about it.

When Adam got home from school (he's wave 1 on the return) he scavenged around for a bit and then asked if he could make a treat.
Sure, I said. Just clean up the mess.
While his cookies were baking he came back to see me and said,
"Wow, Mom. You sure do make a lot of treats for us."
Yes, Dear, I certainly do.

Elsie must of come and given me a gazillion hugs and asked every time if I was feeling better yet. Audrey assured me numerous times before she went to school that she would handle everything when she got home, that I should just take it easy. And Mike, well, I think it really stresses him out to have me not available.

So, after much rambling and nonsense the moral of the story is...
If you really want to feel appreciated and loved,
--don't wait for Mother's Day--
just get strep and you, too, can know how very secure your job is.
Because, let's face it....
The only people who want our jobs is us.
Yes, us...ladies crazy enough to birth all these babies and then spend the rest of every waking moment of our lives taking care of the rugrats, a house and that bigger kid-version guy we fell madly in love with and married.
Yep, that's the life I chose....
And I love it.
:0)

plus, if you have a really
nice friend that finds out
you are sick
she'll make you
homemade chicken noodle soup
....just sayin'

6 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Glad you got some chicken soup out of the deal, and very glad you are feeling better.

The sick leave benefits for moms could certainly be better.

And don't you just love modern medicine. I was so sick once, and I am quite certain I would have died without the help of antibiotics.

Just continue to take it easy and don't push yourself to hard or you might relapse.

Mom Nelson said...

I'm sorry - I didn't know that you were sick - I hope that you didn't get it up here. FYI I am feeling much better...yes, antibiotics are wonderful...take care...

Natalie Nelson said...

I don't profess to hate many things but being sick is by far one of those things. It stinks. I am of the oppinion that mom being sick is the worst thing in the world. I am glad you are doing better and that you have such good friends to take care of you. And a good family.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

No need for strep. Just get pregnant! When I am pregnant, I spend 50% of my life sleeping, another 40% laying in bed wanting to die, and I split the other 10% hiding in my closet having a nervous breakdown, or going out to ward functions pretending that everything is good....so as to not start having meals brought in....because hey, I'm fine! haha......good thing that ain't never gonna happen again!!! It's easy to laugh about it when it's in the past!

Glad you're feeling better. Hope the moving plans are going well. And for Pete's sake, get that dishwasher up and going!

annebabe said...

thank goodness for good drugs!! and we are the only ones who want to do this on a regular basis. us, the crazy ladies called "mom." glad the team pitched in a little while you were down and out. get well soon, the clock's ticking on your time here in Santa Clara. Strep throat isn't taking any more of my time with you!!

jen said...

Yes, our jobs are definitely secure!! I am pretty sure there is no one that would want to jump in and take over my job as "mom" of four. Ha!

I am so glad your family stepped it up and held down the fort while you were sick. And homemade chicken soup? Well, that almost makes the whole getting sick thing worth it. LOL. I am glad you are feeling better.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.