Friday, February 18, 2011

Project Queen.

Now, before we begin....a little disclaimer.
Okay, actually a couple of disclaimers.
#1) I am a lot of things. I would not say that I am particularly crafty or projecty--I am sure that I am not seamstressy. So, be kind.
#2) At this point in the life of my beloved -and very old- camera (whose life with me began after a full and useful life as a work camera for Mike) the screen where I used to be able view not only the pictures already taken, but also the current picture being taken has died completely. Therefore, I am shooting blind. So, again I say to you, be kind.
Alrighty then, on we go.

So, I was in need (and by saying need I really mean want) of a few changes around the old homestead. Being the Chatty Cathy that I am, I was talking to my good buddie Christy about my aspirations. Now, here's the thing about Christy--she is very projecty and an amazing seamstress. She was actually working on a project of her own and, much to my delight, stumbled across some very lovely fabric that she donated to the cause and voila project numero uno was under way....

I call this project: Operation Spruce Up Family Room.
Here we have my couch and table pre-sprucing....


And, here we have my couch and table post sprucing--

Cute, huh? I'm not completely in love with the color of the table, but it was the closest thing to blue that I could rummage up from the garage.

And...TaDa!! Look at that fancy sewing work! Okay, really don't look too closely.... I recovered the pillows that were already there and then dug up some random pillows floating around the house and recovered them as well (if one of my girls asks where her round flower pillow with the giant tear in it is--YOU DON'T KNOW). And then I remembered I had a gift certificate to Ross and found some new throws for $4 a piece, not too shabby.

So, woohoo, project one done and done. Yes, it was slightly intimidating but not nearly as much work as project numero dos.

I like to call this project: Revamp Kitchen Table.
A word or two about this table--it was given to us several years ago by Mike's parents when they bought a new one. This table has been around a Loonngg time. It is a Really nice, heavy duty piece of furniture (which it needed to be to have survived Mike and his brothers). It is in fact, circa 1983--hence the oak and black paint flecked look. I knew revamping this beast would be a lot of work. What I didn't know was really, really, really how much work it would be.
Although I was nearly certain I was going to die at some point of the sanding, wiping, painting, waiting, sanding, wiping, painting, waiting, sanding, glazing, wiping, wiping, spraying, waiting process.... I do love the finished product.

Thank Goodness we used Mike's paint sprayer...or, seriously, I really would have died under this table. (robyn can verify our near death experience)

Sadly, with my pathetic camera you really can't see how fantastic it looks. You will just have to take my word for it...or come on over and see for yourself.

I'll make cookies for the occasion.
:o)

I do have one more project on the radar,
but I am really being a chicken about it.
It involves a lot of sewing.
And, honestly,
at this point I am hoping
it will also involve my mother...
....Hi, Mom! Wanna help?
Are you looking for a project?
Maybe if I visit over spring break....???

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow sis- you are the project queen! I have a few projects around here that I am too int intimidated by to start, maybe you should swing on by and help a sista out. I think your projects turned out great! I can't wait to see them in person! Nice work!!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I've had the same bee in my bonnet. I've been taking furniture, changing colors, moving things around, pulling out old paint....you know. And it's fun! I really love your table. And I can't even imagine how you sanded all of those spindly chair legs. Amazing you are!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

It does really look amazing. You get a gold star. Way to go.

annebabe said...

I can speak from first hand experience that it REALLY does look fabulous in person!! and shame on me for not noticing the new pillow/coffee table scene. I was so blinded by the beauty of the dining room table that everything else was hazy. and two thumbs WAY UP for farmgirl/project lady!! woot woot!!!!

Mom Nelson said...

I would love to help - I'm always looking for a project. Your projects look great - job well done...

jen said...

Wow!! Everything looks great! I think I will have to make my way over to your house and check everything out in person. Maybe it will give me the motivation I need to do some projects around my house!

bobbi said...

VERY NICE!!! YOU DID A GREAT JOB!!

Natalie Nelson said...

Absolutly love the nwe look. I can sew straight lines but if it comes to actuially picing out fabric I enlist the help of some good girls that live around me. You might even know them the have the last name of Nelson. Every heard of them?
On a side note; as much as we want to come down in the next week if the weather isn't better we will have to postpone for a few weeks as David mentioned. He is watching the weather every day sometimed more than once. It seems to change every day. We will come though. No doubt about that. That is if you are willing to take us.

staci said...

I am loving all this craftiness going on at your house!! So fun to spruce things up a bit!

Hot Mom said...

I am feeling a little guilty about not being there to help you with your table revamp since you helped me with mine. What a great job. Hope I can see it in person soon.

whirligigdaisy said...

Wow. Impressive. I want to be you. All of my furniture is old, old, old. I'm not brave enough to tackle projects of such magnitude. I'm very impressed.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.