Friday, April 17, 2009

Requesting permission to go AWOL.

Since a vacation from my life/chit'lins isn't in the cards at the moment I've decided maybe I should just adopt the Bob Wiley method and take a vacation from my problems.

Couple of thoughts:
*Do you think if I put on a 'Don't bother me, I'm on vacation' shirt any one will actually NOT bother me?
*I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to implement my new method at a lake house located some where in New Hampshire. Maybe Lake Winnapisockee?
*I could soak in the tub saying, "Calgon-take me away" and see if it does any thing for me.
*I could also try, "Beam me up, Scottie" ---I'm willing to vacation just about any where.
*Possibly I should try, "I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful."
*Maybe I'll just baby-step it to sanity.

My friends, after nearly fifteen years of marriage and over thirteen and half years of child rearing this little woman is desperately seeking a break! Preferably one that includes my hubby and lasts longer than 18 hours. Just in case you were wondering, that's about the extent of time we have been away from the punks. Pathetic, right?? Okay, that's a lie--we did leave for a few days when Adam was one....He's 13 and a half now, people!! Still pathetic.
The problem? I can't seem to convince myself of two things: A)It's okay to splurge a little and B)Leaving my brood with someone won't drive them to drink (the kid-sitter, not the kids. although i don't want my wee ones nippin' at the bottle either. just thought i should clear that up). I just don't want to be responsible for that. I have enough on my plate. An alcoholic on my conscience is more than I can do. Trust me, being a Mormon mother of 5 I'm already dealing with enough guilt.

In the meantime, I feel good. I feel great. I feel wonderful. I feel good. I feel great. I feel wonderful. I feel good.....

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

YOu DO need a break! You deserve it!

stace said...

do you REALLY think you deserve a break...come on?!?!

take a break. Your kids are old enough to split up or have grandparents come down and watch.

annebabe said...

alright, whip out your calendar, lets plan this puppy RIGHT NOW!! i'm a whiz at making things happen. you and mike pick your destination and lets get cracking!

seriously, call me.

Megs said...

I
feel
your
pain!!!
I don't remember the last time Josh and I had any amount of time just the two of us! *sigh* I know what you mean, it is one thing to have someone watch the kids for a date...but sickin' 4-5 kids on someone for a few days? I cringe at it! But...regardless, I KNOW that you deserve some time off! I think that you should figure out some way to get it done! After all you and Mike are the foundation of your gorgeous family, and not only would it be great to have some time just the two of ya, but after a few days away from the brood you will all appreciate each other SOOO much more. You could totally split the kids up to a couple of sitters, they would be just fine.
...now I only have to convince myself to take this most astute advice!!! I am guessing that usually you spend all time and money on the fam...you deserve something special! ;)
I am officially changing your nickname to "The Queen Mother", instead of "Farmgirl"...just until your 'trip' is arranged- to remind you that you deserve some ROYAL treatment! tee hee!!! Oh, btw...
You ARE good,
You ARE great,
You ARE WONDERFUL!!!
;D

Sarah said...

As a kid, watching those Calgon commercials, I think I really did buy into that whole, "Take me away" propaganda. What else could explain my need to head for the bathtub in times of 1)stress 2)pain 3)anger 4)frustration etc. It's my go-to joint. Sounds like you need a go-to joint that's a bit farther than your bathroom.

I have an idea . . . I think you should go to . . . . . . . . . . . . . okay, fill in the blank yourself. I'm giggling to hard to actually write it.

Spend the $$ on yourself. You can always eat your food storage.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Oooohhhh....you do need a vacation. We'd never been on one either, because I can't even stand the thought of leaving the kids. But a couple of years ago, my parents took all of us siblings and spouses on a cruise. So, we couldn't even count on eachother to watch kids. It was so scary. BUT....we did it, and yu know what? I didn't even call! I so did NOT miss my kids. I love 'em, but grown up time is a good thing!

bobbi said...

Okay, ship them all up to Cody!! I could keep them busy in the yard/garden, tending to some animals and we'd plan some fun things in there, too! They'd feel right at home, huh? Now all we need to do is figure out how to get them to Cody-- figure something out and game on!!! Good luck-- I do hope you get a break.

jen said...

You definitely deserve a break! Just plan it. You could split up the kids or whatever. You can worry about the splurge later. It will definitely be worth the money. Just make it happen.

P.S. This is coming from a girl who hasn't had a getaway with her husband that lasted over 24 hours for quite awhile :). I know all this is easier said than done! I am often telling myself- I feel good...I feel great...I feel wonderful... Who needs a vacation, right???

Ginger said...

I can't remember the last time Earl and I had a real date--let alone a mini vacation from the kiddos. Oh, wait, it's coming to me...I think that's how we ended up with Porter. (He's 6 now.) Wait until they are all in school. After 15 years with kiddos at home, I wandered around the house aimlessly for hours until I finally decided to just take a nap. Find some really good chocolate, a novel and lock yourself in your room for a couple of hours. That might get you through until tomorrow. ;)

Amanda said...

Man-
I am A.O.K to come down whenever!! You know I wouldn't say it unless I meant it. I, more than anyone - especially in our family, knows the importance of vaca!! Take it, (we take about 4 anual ones each year) you will get no judgement here! For reals, I will be there to sit on your kids, I mean kid sit when you need me to. Take a break!!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.