Monday, January 7, 2013

Fun in the Sun.

Okay, so sure it was only 5 degrees above zero, and sure we waited until afternoon for it to even be that...but the sun was shining.  Therefore I am naming this post "Fun in the Sun".
It's funny how warped your sense of temperature gets in extremes.  It's like when we lived in the St. G and it would only be 97* and I'd gather up the kiddies and head to the park.  That's not normal.  Or really a great idea, but when it's down from 112*...eh, 97* seems real nice. 
And when it's up from -20
(that's right, negative 20 as in, 20 below zero as in, here's zero go 20 degrees less than that and that's what the temperature is, -20) 
...eh, 5* seems real nice.

There it was a balmy 5* Saturday afternoon so we decided to try out the ice skating pond.  The ice skating pond is a creek, Worm Creek to be exact, that runs through my dad's farmland.  When it gets cold enough (and -20 qualifies as cold enough) it freezes over solid as a rock and ~voila~ ice skating pond.

Most of the kids were old pros, this was a first for my little ladies.  There wasn't enough skates to go around so they had to take some turns.  Goose used to have a pair of roller blades so she caught on really quick.


 For Elsie, it was a bit more of a challenge.

 At first she was holding on to her sister for dear life.


 She took more than a couple of falls.

 But with a little help from the crowd...

Eventually, she prevailed. 
Sometimes you just gotta help a sista out.


Aunt Natalie and Grandma enjoying the fun.
Grandma sporting her super warm and toasty circa 1983 coat and super cute hat..
frankly, I'm a little jealous of both.

 Some of the little ones just got pulled around the ice on the sled,

oh wait---(that's me)---apparently some of the big ones too.


But, hey, when you have a sherpa brother willing to pull you with the kiddies--
you jump right on!

There were a few other activities going on as well...

Like discovering an ancient tractor buried in the snow to ride on.

And there was some sledding to be done. 

Unfortunately, the end of the run happened to be on the ice.
Not a very soft landing.


As demonstrated by Grant and William.


We even got a little fire going.

Me & My Boy.

I assure you Mr. Grant Delish was smiling under there.

It was a fun afternoon.

And, yes, it was a might bit chilly. 
(frozen hair to prove it)

But we stayed and enjoyed it as long as possible.
A good time was had by all.

2 comments:

Natalie Nelson said...

Yay, the first commenter. I feel so special. It was a nice day. I can't believe how long you all stayed out there. I love the pic with David pulling you. I need to get a copy. I love living here. Even if it does get -20 and you have to deal with frozen pipes and all. I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Steve & Shauna Flammer said...

This was fun to see, when I was in grade school I took my friend to show her the "big" river (Worm Creek). I slid out on the ice and promptly fell through. Now that was a long way back to the house. It was that moment on that I hated being cold.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.