Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Working Girl.

It's official.  I have a "real job".  Please use dramatic air quotes when you say that...mmmkay?
Because heaven knows I have plenty of other (non-monetary paying) jobs to go around.  Plenty.
So, I am a lunch lady.  Not a glamorous sounding title, but I quite like it so far.

I love the ladies I work with, it's only a few hours a day, the kitchen is warm
(which is fantastic for a cold blooded creature like myself)--I've even been a bit too warm a couple of times--dare I say--I might even go so far as to say--sweaty, the kids are super cute, I get to wear comfy scrubs to work (hello? most new clothes i've had in years. courtesy of the school district) and since we all match I don't ever need to wonder what to wear--just throw it on and zip I'm ret-to-go.
  

This is Monday's outfit.  It's the perkiest one we have.  I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want lunch served to them by lovely ladies with frogs and flowers on their shirts?  Hmmm?  Nobody, that's who.

I work in a different school district then my own kiddos.  Which is good and bad.  Some of our vacations don't line up and I work on Fridays when my punks are out of school (remember? four day school week in P-town).
I'm just gonna go ahead and shoot straight with you here...I was more than happy to walk out the door Friday.  For the record, I think it's just kind of a cruel joke to start school in the middle of the week- go to school for two days- then have a three day weekend.  Seemed like a tease to me....but, what do I know?
I suppose what I am so delicately trying to say is this---I think I won't cry myself to sleep at night thinking about the days my punks will be home and I'll be gone for a few hours or the days that they will be in school and I get to stay home by my lonesome and not go to work.  I know, I'm just sort of a rude mother like that.

After a 17 year hiatus from a "real job" (remember, dramatic air quotes) where I clock in and clock out it does seem kind of strange to be back at it.
Strange, but good.
I think I really needed something like this in my life, plus it makes me miss my little buddy Grant Delish a wee little bit less.
And since I was such a picky eater as I child I never would eat school lunch
--even though I was supposed to and my dear old mother paid for it and I threw pretty much all of it away every day until I was ratted out by one of the lunch ladies and got a talking to about being wasteful from me mum and even after that I only ate a tiny bit more and yes when I think about that I kinda want to go back in time and slap myself upside the head (I hate waste now)--
so I get to redeem myself.

School lunch.
It's a good thing.
Peace out.
:o)

4 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Wow, that sounds great. It sounds like the perfect job for you. Your kids are old enough to deal the few times that they will be home and you will be gone. And there is something about the routine of working that is a good thing. The whole helping with the getting out of bed every day. I do better when my life makes that a mandatory thing, not optional. Probably just me. But congratulations. And having a regular paycheck can help decrease some stress, and that is never a bad thing. Way to go.

whirligigdaisy said...

Yeah. But wait. I assumed you were working in Preston, so if you are not in the same district as your kiddos, where are you? I LOVE the scrubs. Best invention ever.

farmgirl said...

I'm working in Richmond. 7 miles south instead of 7 miles north. Works out pretty great.

jen said...

Hooray for you new job!!

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.