Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Decor.

So, here's something weird.

Mike, Adam and my brothers went to the mountains and got Christmas trees the day after Thanksgiving. Okay, that's not weird. It's nice actually. Ours is a little Charlie Brownish, but I'm okay with that. I think it's kind of cute, and with the lower ceilings in this house it's either that or a bush. So, Charlie Brown and his tree are welcome here. It is still sitting undecorated, but lovely all the same.

I've been thinking about Christmas a lot. You know, when all the stuff is out in the stores before Halloween it kinda gets me started. I had been thinking about how fun it was going to be to decorate the new abode. Fresh canvas, so to speak.

Yesterday I spent the early morning cleaning my house. Then I went down to my mom's to do my laundry and make bread. That's not weird either. I was working toward today being the day I would decorate.

So, this was it. This morning I tidied up the house, pulled on some boots, gloves and a coat to brave the cold and collect all the Christmas paraphernalia from the old barn where it has been stored.

I turned on the Christmas music and opened the boxes. Here's where the weird thing happened. Completely unexpected by me, I was overcome with the memories so much of my Christmas junk carried. Decorating was bittersweet this year. Thinking about where I put everything up in our house in St. George, where each item originated from. Before I moved to St. George all my Christmas stuff pretty much fit in a shoe box. I've collected all sorts of things. But mostly, dear friends I will always cherish and years of wonderful memories.

I'm done decorating now. Except the tree- that's a family project. The house looks good. I like it. I do, I really do. I love this house, actually. And I know we are just where we should be.

But today...today I'm missing the things that used to be.

3 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I know exactly what you mean. I hope this was helpful to write it all down.

annebabe said...

hugs. hugs. hugs. and throw in a cup of hot chocolate for good measure. because what a good hug from a friend can't fix, a warm cup of melted candy bar goodness surely can.

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Mmmmm....Missing you too. Missing your house, your treats, our hanging out time, our late night shopping, your christmas chocolates, really missing you. Come visit.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.