Thursday, September 1, 2011

And their off....

Who loves school time???
Me! Me! Me!
I do! I do! I do!

Oh, and so do these kids here.

In our line up today
(okay, it was really a week ago--I'm a little slow at blogging)
we have the sweet and beautiful third grader, Miss Elsie-Girl.

We have the gorgeous and always entertaining,
fancy pants Junior High going
(sob, how can that be?)
sixth grader Lucy-Goose.

Next up is the breath taking, talented
long legged beauty herself,
Audrey.
She is gracing the 8th grade this year.

And last, but certainly not least, we have the ruggedly
handsome, too big for his britches, guy who started school
on his 16th birthday, sophomore, the amazing Adam.


The bus (or as I like to call it: Mom's Big Yellow Ticket to Solitude)
arrives at 7:15 and returns and 4:25.
Count 'em up my friends...
that's 8 hours and 10 minutes.
Fan-diddly-tastic!
It is an early long day,
by Thursday we are all glad to have Friday off.
That's how they roll up here.
School is just four days a week.
So far, we like it.

Good bye, Big Yellow Ticket to Solitude.


And, in other news...

We finally ran our BIG race.
The Top of Utah Half Marathon.
Couple things:
* This is the only picture, so enjoy.
* It was a hot day.
* I actually really liked the course, running down the canyon was fun.
* Now that I've recovered, I may consider doing it again.

***


Food storage is big here.
This ward is full of the most organized food storage people I have ever seen.
Imagine my joy to know that chocolate chips are considered a food storage item.
These are my kinda people.
How does thirty pounds of chocolate chips sound?

Good? I thought so too.
Am I a happy girl?

Yes. Yes I am.


***

And, finally, I would like to close with a little something I call
THE GREEN TOWEL CONUNDRUM.

First, a little background.
We are currently a one bathroom household.
The downstairs bathroom is in construction.
Now, as you know we are a family of seven.
Besides the obvious issues of one bathroom and seven people
there is the not so obvious issue of wet towels.
There is just only so much towel rack space, ya know?
So, seven towels is about all there is room for.

Last year Santa
(because Santa is a beautiful genius)
gave everyone their own special towel -this way no one needs to wonder if
"SOME ELSE USED MY TOWEL!"

On with the story.
See this green towel?

This green towel is NOT one of the kids Santa towels.
Nor is it a towel that Mike and I use.
This green towel is a guest towel.
Well, why on earth would I have it hanging on the banister
and not put away folded nice and neat on the shelf with the other guest towels?
Why is it not sitting on the shelf looking cute, doing it's job?


See how lonely that other green towel looks?

Here's why.
Because EVERY night this green towel ends up wet, folded (sorta) and put back on the shelf.
While the mother in me cannot over look the slight amount of joy I
feel about some one actually
folding something and putting it away, the freak
in me is trying to control the freakness over
DO NOT FOLD WET THINGS UP!
Mildew, people.
Mildew.

And, the really REALLY crazy thing is...
none of my children are doing this.
I know because I asked each of them.

So, I guess until this towel learns
how to stay dry folded neatly on the shelf
and behave the banister is where it will be.

The Green Towel Conundrum.
It's a quandary.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving that 4 day a week school. They aren't in school on Friday long enough to get anything done anyway. Glad you guys are loving it there. The green towel is a mystery...

jen said...

I think I could get used to the four day school week. Especially if they were gone for eight hours and 10 minutes the rest of the week! That is pretty sweet.

A little jealous of your thirty pounds of chocolate chips. That should be part of every girls food storage!

annebabe said...

first up- the big yellow ticket to mom's solitude? love it. going to work that into many a conversation. what a gem.

secondly- a wee bit jealous of your 8+ hours of solitude. maybe more than a wee bit.

thirdly- chocolate chip heaven

lastly- the green towel conunudrum is quite the mystery. put on your super sleuth hat and I'd like to hear how you discover the culprit.

Sydney said...

Oh Mary Anne, thank you for giving me my laugh for the day. I think my Mom could definitely use the term "big yellow ticket to solitude" And if you ever solve the mystery of the green towel, you're going to have to let us all know!

stace said...

ohhh...a year supply of chocolate chips? Please share your source. I have priorities when it comes to food storage.

I am a fan of 5 day a week school. It would be even better if it were 8 hours and 10 minutes all five of those days. Man, I am a horrible mom.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

OK first off, I know where I am heading when disaster strikes. Want to be near the 30 pound bag o'chocolate.

Maybe you have a leprechaun at your house. Did you ever think of that? I might splain some thing.

Thanks for your vote today. Looks like I am actually going to win. Who knew dreams can really come true? Not me. Of course now there have been nasty accusations of cheating and words like fraud bandied about. But hey I don't suppose BYU and Utah can be involved in anything with out some punches being thrown. I am just grateful that for now it looks like their loss is my gain. We will see when all the dust settles tomorrow. For now I am packing my bags for Provo on September 17th. Whoo hoo.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Oh and my senior son gets out at 12:25. Now that seems a little unnecessary don't ya think?

Cool Dad said...

Already stole "Mom's big yellow ticket to solitude" and now I am going to go start working on my food storage. I had no idea it could be so much fun.

P.S. This is Hot Mom. I am too lazy to log out of Cool Dad's account.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Wow! That's a long day of solitude! But I think that my little guy would die of boredom before the bros and the sis got home!

Also, the green towel....let me know when you get that figured out. Maybe the green towel is sneaking to my house and eating food in the basement (which is not allowed), and spilling soda on itself (in the basement, of course), and then sneaking back to your house in the wee hours and folding itself neatly back on the shelf. That would explain a lot!

kelli

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.