Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Where to begin?

At the beginning?
Seems logical.
One might think so...but, not for me.
I think I will just spew a blog post here and there and eventually I will cover the Idaho trip.
When last I posted I was feeling a wee bit melancholy---things turned out all right in the end.
A good time was had by all.
All right, so let's get crackin'
What do you want to know about first????
How about I tell you about me really getting in touch with the old farmgirl roots?

Here's the story:
Pretty much every visit home includes at least a couple of cow chasing episodes. This one did not disappoint. I actually don't mind getting the cows in. There was one instance that I didn't get the heads up to head on out....something about my parents thinking I was already asleep and letting me be--c'mon guys--I'm am good to go any time!! It always makes me feel farmgirlish to get the cows in, a little nostalgic I guess.

In fact, even my running was cow related this year. (besides the fact that our team name is 'We need more Cowbell') One morning I was heading out for a run and those crazy beasts were out so after running down to the state line and back twice, I called it a workout.
I did my last long run before the race with my brother, Richard and sister, Sara. Richard picked the location--Giraffe Hill. We drove to our starting point and ran about 6 very windy, but very beautiful miles. After we were done, we climbed back in the truck to head home. Long story short: someone was taking their cows out to range and we were stuck in a 'cow parade' for about 25 minutes. Good times.

Wanna know what the very best farmgirl thing was? When my dad asked me to stay a few extra days to help swath the hay. Need to see pictures to believe it??? Okay, Lucy was my trusty photographer....

Yep, this crazy girl right here.


There I am, in all my swathing glory.
You may not be able to see it very well, but that is indeed me behind the wheel.



Here's my view, not too shabby 'eh?
Have I ever told you my parents live in just about the most beautiful place on Earth?
No??
Well they do.



Goose took a self portrait of the two of us.
I'm a beauty to behold.
How do you like my googly eyes?
I like to refer to them as my swathing eyes...
one eye on the camera and one eye on the field.
(okay, so maybe not so much one on the field and one on the camera
as two eyes just plain going in two different directions)

That's how I roll.
I'm gifted.
Can you do that??
Ya, I thought not.


They keep a bean bag in there for the kiddos to sit/sleep on.
FYI the swather is pretty much the best nap spot ever.
Grant got some good zzzz's out there with me.
This is my view of her.


And this is her view of me.

There you go...farmgirl the swathing fool.

And while we are on the subject of Goose...
That girl of mine asked me a few weeks ago how long her hair would be if she cut 10 inches off.
I donated my hair a few years ago and she wanted to do the same.
She is a sweet girl, that one.



Her hair was really long.


Of course, she wouldn't dream of making such a change without the beautiful
Aunt Amanda behind the scissors.


I know my fancy camera work did not capture the moment...
but the look on her face was classic.

Such a cute, sassy new do.
Very, very Goose-esk.

9 comments:

annebabe said...

ooooo- love the new 'do Goose!! Can't wait to see it in real life. :)

And so SO VERY GLAD you posted pics of you being an actual farmgirl because you know, there was some talk, (cough, cough) about you going soft and all whilst living the suburban life in Santa Clara. I'm just saying . . . there's no doubting your farmgirl-ness anymore. ;)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I love it. Have you heard I am making plans to be buried in Fairview? I loves me some cache valley, and if I have to live the whole rest of my living in Vegas, well I can at least look forward to being burried in that loverly place. Girls got to have dreams you know. Even if they do involve dying.

And I am very jealous of your swathing skills. Very very impressive. I would say my favorite childhood memory would be of riding in the tractor scoop barefooted, and you get the little flowers and weeds between your toes. Best time ever.

Amanda said...

Great visit. I am so jealous that you got to cut hay while I was stuck in doing hair all week. I'm glad goose likes her hair and all the rest of you Schoenfeld girls... Maybe, just maybe, next time you visit, I will be feeling better and we can have some real fun! It was great seeing you!!

Bryant P. Castleton said...

I haven't read a blog in forever and it took your picture of the Idaho sign to lure me in! Yes, southeastern Idaho is just about the most beautiful place ever! It makes me homesick, though these days I get all confused as to where home is since none of my family is there anymore and I've moved so many times San Antonio has been the longest "layover" at 5 1/2 years.

Thanks for the great post and trip down memory lane! Maybe someday when we get settled in our home in GA I'll actually post again.

staci said...

Love the new do's on you & your cute Goose. How fun for her to donate her hair! And I LOVE the pictures of you in all your farmgirl-ness. I'm thinking a ride on that swathing machine thing looks mighty fun!

Mom Nelson said...

Come again soon...our house is way too quiet!!

Natalie Nelson said...

It was nice to have you up for a little while. Thanks again for you and your mom giving my house a little pick-me-up while we were away with Tily. It was good to see you. And I'm glad Mike liked the shirt you will have to show me pictures sometime.

jen said...

Love Lucy's new haircut! I didn't realize her hair had gotten so long! She looks super cute.

That swathing machine looks kinda fun. And what a beautiful place!! I am glad you were able to get back to your roots for a little while.

Hot Mom said...

I love Lucy's hair, so cute. I am laughing just thinking about your swathing. The picture of you talking on the phone while swathing is classic. Rumor has it you spent a bit of time on the phone. How even were those rows??????

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.