Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sharing.

Have you ever found something out that you feel the need to shout from the roof tops?  Have you ever sat in the doctors office and actually said "Why don't people know about this!?!?"  Here's my story:

Once upon a time, 18 years ago...oh, I'm sorry did I say 18 years ago?  I meant EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO the hubby and I anxiously awaited the birth of our first born child.  I remember our excitement when we purchased our first package of diapers months before we really needed them in our efforts to stock pile them.  Babies go through a lot of diapers, we'd been told.
And so began my journey of supporting the diaper industry.  And since that day so many moons ago it has.never.stopped.  Yes, really.  I have either been buying diapers or pullups--or both--for over 18 years.  By my calculations I have spent, well...a lot of money!  I've been told that bed wetting can be genetic. 

Here's a fun little story problem for you:  One of the two of my children's parents was a bed wetter for a long time.  And it wasn't their mother...you do the math.

We have had more than one of our children struggle with bed wetting, I have been told over and over again that 'they will grow out of it' and they have.  Except the last two.  Audrey was in 5th grade before she stopped so I haven't been in a total panic about Elsie and Grant.

Mikey threw a few things into the gene pool that I'd just assume he'd left in the dressing room.  Ginormous tonsils top the list.  We have had Mike's, Audrey's and Lucy's removed.  All three of them had big BIG snoring issues (one of them still has some issues--he will remain nameless) and they would get strep throat multiple times a year.  So, these giant tonsils were obstructing the air while they slept and they were also a little petri dish for every sickness that came down the pike.  Elsie also inherited the giant tonsils.  She hasn't picked up strep, but she does battle a sore throat on a regular basis and she snores like an old man--just ask her sisters that share a room.

I finally decided it was time to look into getting her tonsils removed.  We went in for her check up and we were referred to an ENT.  I took her in today.  This morning I had a little mini epiphany.  Audrey quit wetting the bed shortly after she had her tonsils out.  I decided to share this little tidbit with the doctor...I told her this was just Doctor Mom speaking, but could that be related??  She said Absolutely Yes!!  What?!?  Apparently bed wetting can be a result of sleep apnea.  Who knew??  Not me.  Who should know?  Pediatricians.  And parents of bed wetting kids.

Now, do I think that every bed wetter has sleep apnea? No.  But I certainly had no idea the two were even related.  The doctor told me that kids of normal weight and who are other wise healthy shouldn't be snoring or wetting the bed at this age.  She said that they have had kids in their late teens who have been to the urologist multiple times and on some pretty heavy medication come through the door to find out  it was sleep apnea all along.

Well, fan-diddley-tastic! 
I'm super happy to have the info and thought you should too. 



*This public announcement 
brought to you by farmgirl.  
**I am not sponsored nor 
do I have any affiliation 
with nasty tonsils. 

Thank you. 

4 comments:

Mer said...

Hmmm - so good to know! Any lessons learned on why a 16 month old will wake up screaming and cry for about 3 hours unless she is laying on top of her mother?

Pat said...

Good to know.

annebabe said...

My farmgirl is a giver, she is. Thanks for passing along the info. Do feel a teensy bit cheated that you could have solved this mystery years ago if only someone had shared with you? and I miss you terribly. get your rear end down here pronto.

Natalie Nelson said...

Crazy what can be connected right?
That's about it. I just wanted to comment so I could be considered a lame commenter and not a one step down noncommenter.;)

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.