Friday, September 14, 2012

New shoes?

Are there really women out there who go to work for a new pair of shoes??
....for themselves none the less???
Someone said this to me a few weeks before I started my job.
She said, and I quote, "Ohhh...a lunch lady, won't that be nice?  Extra money's always nice...you can get stuff for yourself, you could buy your self a new pair of shoes."
To be fair I should say that this lady probably didn't know what else to say to me, nor was she the first person to say this sort of thing to me.

Bare in mind this is not the first time I've brought in another source of income for our family.  My jobs have not been glamorous: cleaning houses, babysitting, web writing (okay so that doesn't have the same negative connotation) and lunch lady.
Not exactly fancy shmancy.
Never have I done it for a new pair of shoes.  That's ridiculous.

I've lived in the trenches, People.  I was in baby/toddler world for a long time.  I remember the days of multiple diaper changing, peed in pants, poopy undies, babies needing to be fed, burped, cuddled and snuggled.  I remember the snack fixing the crying, whining, fighting, and fussing.  I remember the bedtime 'thank the Heavens above I made it through another day' nightly sigh of relief.

I dare you to find me a mother that hasn't thought to herself in the midst of all this fantastic mothering,
"One day they will all be in school. One day all of these fabulous little people I have birthed from my body and by the sweat of my brow have loved and cared for every day will all be in school and I will no longer need to sneak a cookie, lock myself in the closet, gobble it down and then take 10 deep breathes before facing the natives."

Now, I suppose I can't speak for everyone--but as for me--I did not finish up that thought with "...and then I will leave my house and get a job."  Hello?  I'm like the poster child for the Suzie Homemaker Club. 
No.
The grand idea was to actually be alone.
At home.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my job.  I actually haven't hated any of the jobs I have done.  Okay, okay I kind of had a while when I pretty much hated doing day care, but for the most part I try to enjoy what ever I am doing.
You know, capre diem and all that crap.

I'm just saying, let's all try not to say stupid things.
I know, it happens to the best of us....

And here I am still doing everything I do for the little punks I raised from pups...I remember reading something about "Mother ducks pick feathers from their chests to line their nest".  Did you catch that?  "Mother ducks pick feathers from their chest to line their nest".  Did you know that?  Those mother ducks don't go picking up the strings and scraps where ever they can find them, they give their babies the very best they can.  I'm sure it hurts a little sometimes plucking out the best, softest feathers they have...but they do it any way. 
And so do I.
Here's to my punk duckies, I offer you the very best of me.


p.s.
i'm fully aware my posts
are seeming somewhat random,
even for me.
and that's saying something.

4 comments:

Mer said...

We are at different ends of the same street... there are days I wish I could stay home all the time with my munchkins, and then those days when we both say, do we get to go to work tomorrow?

Natalie Nelson said...

I personally never saw the real appeal to shoes that so many women seem to see. I think shoes are to be used and they need to be as functional as possible. Don't get me wrong I see others wearing cute shoes and I do comment on them and do think they are cute but for me to spend my (and when I say my I really mean David's) hard earned money on a pair of shoes that I will never get addiquate use out of and only for looks I think that money can be better spent other places. Like buying the kiddies shoes.
Picking feathers from their brest Huh? Ouch. I can totally feel that mother ducks pain. All I can say is that I sure hope they one day come to appriciate all that the mothers of the world do for their little ducklings. And just know that when you are resurrected your brest will be so full of those plucked feathers you will have quite the rack.:)
This is Natalie BTW.

annebabe said...

It was National Say Something Stupid Day when she made that comment about working for shoes. Some people unknowingly celebrate it everyday. Stay far away from those people at all costs. They have also been know to say things like, "We only go to Disneyland every 6 months, " and " Lets have our son's birthday party in Hawaii!"

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Did you see that saying on Facebook a little while ago that said

"I am not saying we should kill all the stupid people, I am just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem just work itself out."

Seriously, every time I do some extra work and I think I just might have a little bit extra that is when there is some unexpected bill that gobbles up anything extra not to mention putting me a little bit further behind.

Being a working "outside of the home" mom is the hardest thing I have ever done. And I don't suppose all the sacrifice involved would be worth it for a pair of shoes.

Google Analytics

Peeks last week...need this for noncommentors. Lame. commenting is cool.